The DAF 46 is a small family car that was manufactured by the Dutch company DAF. It was introduced in November 1974 to replace the 44, although at the time it was announced that the two cars would be sold "alongside" one another, suggesting that there were still substantial stocks of the earlier model awaiting customers.
|Assembly||Born, Netherlands (DAF Born)|
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Small family car|
|Engine||844 cc flat twin|
|Wheelbase||2,248 mm (88.5 in) |
|Length||3,848 mm (151.5 in)|
|Width||1,530 mm (60 in)|
|Height||1,445 mm (56.9 in)|
|Curb weight||724 kg (1,596 lb)|
In February 1976, at the relaunch of the Volvo 66 (formerly the DAF 66), it was announced that the DAF 46 would be phased out during 1976, after which 'special measures' would ensure adequate parts and service backup despite the disappearance of the DAF brand from passenger car show rooms.
The DAF 46 was carpeted throughout and equipped with cloth covered reclining seats. It also had a redesigned gear lever and additional dash mounted warning lights. Out of sight of the driver was a de Dion rear axle, which DAF had fitted two years earlier to their more powerful model when replacing the 55 with the DAF 66: the car retained its defining variomatic transmission, but this was now coupled with a conventional differential which was said to improve noise levels and extend drive-belt life. Reports suggest that the DAF 46 had safer handling than its predecessor, but acceleration was nonetheless considerably slower, at a time when most European manufacturers were improving top speed and acceleration when they introduced model upgrades.
A total of 32,353 DAF 46s were produced.
- "46". Models. Classic Daf. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-04-24.
- "4 way selecting second hand". Autocar. Vol. 143 (nbr 4105). 12 July 1975. p. 44.
- "News: New DAF". Autocar. Vol. 141 (nbr 4074). 23 November 1974. p. 25.
- "Volvo let out their belts". Autocar. Vol. 144 (nbr 4135). 7 February 1976. pp. 61–63.
- "New car from DAF". Autocar. Vol. 143 (nbr 4107). 26 July 1975. p. 28.
- Ritzinger, André. "The 44 Model". DAF Cars. RitzSite. Retrieved 2016-01-08.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to DAF 46.|
|This article about a classic post-war automobile produced between 1945 and 1975 is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|