Cyrus Diego Jones Jr. (born November 29, 1993) is an American football cornerback for the Baltimore Ravens of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at the University of Alabama. He was drafted by the New England Patriots in the second round of the 2016 NFL Draft.
|No. 27 – Baltimore Ravens|
|Born:||November 29, 1993|
|Height:||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight:||195 lb (88 kg)|
|High school:||Gilman School|
|NFL Draft:||2016 / Round: 2 / Pick: 60|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
Jones was born in Baltimore and attended elementary school at the Leith Walk Elementary/Middle School in northeast Baltimore. He played football and baseball in the Northwood neighborhood, also in northeast Baltimore. Jones attended Gilman School in Baltimore, Maryland. He played cornerback, wide receiver, and running back for the Greyhounds. As a senior, he had 2,365 all-purpose yards and 24 touchdowns on offense and five interceptions on defense. Jones committed to the University of Alabama to play college football.
Jones played at Alabama from 2012 to 2015. Jones played wide receiver as a freshman in 2012, catching four passes for 51 yards. Prior to his sophomore year in 2013, he moved to cornerback. He played in 11 games with five starts that season and had 25 tackles, two interceptions and one sack. As a junior in 2014, he played in all 14 games and had 46 tackles and three interceptions. As a senior, he played in all 15 games and had 37 tackles and two interceptions. He also was Alabama's punt returner, returning 42 punts for 530 yards and four touchdowns. Jones was the Defensive MVP of the 2015 Cotton Bowl after intercepting a redzone pass from Connor Cook with 18 seconds left in the second half to halt Michigan State's momentum and preserve Alabama's eventual 38-0 shutout of the Spartans. In addition, he returned a punt for a touchdown in the victory.
|Cyrus Jones||Kick Returns||Punt Returns|
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 10 in
|31 3⁄8 in
|9 1⁄8 in
|4.49 s||1.55 s||2.62 s||4.21 s||6.71 s||33 in
|9 ft 8 in
|All values from NFL Scouting Combine.|
New England PatriotsEdit
Jones was drafted by the New England Patriots in the second round (60th overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft. Jones finished up his rookie regular season with seven tackles, no pass deflections, and no interceptions. Jones was an occasional return specialist; his returns gained 180 yards, but he also fumbled five times. He played in 10 games during the regular season. On February 5, 2017, Jones's Patriots appeared in Super Bowl LI. He was inactive for the game as the Patriots defeated the Atlanta Falcons by a score of 34–28 in overtime.
In the Patriots' final preseason game of 2017, Jones suffered a torn ACL and partially torn meniscus and was ruled out for the season. He was officially placed on injured reserve on September 2, 2017.
On September 1, 2018, Jones was waived by the Patriots.
New England Patriots (second stint)Edit
Baltimore Ravens (second stint)Edit
On October 8, 2018, Jones was claimed off waivers by the Baltimore Ravens. In Week 12, Jones returned a punt for a 70-yard touchdown in a 34-17 win over the Oakland Raiders, earning him AFC Special Teams Player of the Week.
Jones earned the nickname "Clamp Clampington", which was given for his shutdown corner abilities, while at Alabama.
- "Baltimore native Cyrus Jones visits his childhood school". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved December 21, 2018.
- Dunn, Katherine. "Gilman football star Cyrus Jones Jr. commits to Alabama". Baltimore Sun.
- "Cyrus Jones College Stats". College Football at Sports-Reference.com. Retrieved December 21, 2018.
- Zenitz, Matt. "Alabama DB Cyrus Jones feels overlooked nationally, ready to 'show people what I'm all about'". AL.com.
- Talty, John. "Alabama CB Cyrus Jones ready and eager to prove doubters wrong". AL.com.
- Zrebiec, Jeff. "Former Gilman standout Cyrus Jones working out with Ravens". Baltimore Sun.
- Casagrande, Michael. "Cyrus Jones lists one simple reason for Alabama's recent punt return success". AL.com.
- Zenitz, Matt. "Jake Coker, Cyrus Jones named Cotton Bowl Offensive, Defensive MVPs following Alabama win". AL.com.
- "Combine Player Profile - Cyrus Jones". NFL.com. Retrieved February 6, 2017..
- "Cyrus Jones Draft Profile". NFLDraftScout.com. Retrieved February 6, 2017..
- "2016 NFL Draft Listing". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved December 21, 2018.
- "Cyrus Jones: Career Stats at NFL.com". www.nfl.com.
- "Super Bowl LI - New England Patriots vs. Atlanta Falcons - February 5th, 2017". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved September 2, 2017.
- "Inactives: Super Bowl LI". New England Patriots. Retrieved September 2, 2017.
- Hill, Rich (September 1, 2017). "Patriots CB Cyrus Jones knee injury confirmed; out for the season". PatsPulpit.com.
- "Patriots reach 53-man limit". Patriots.com. September 2, 2017.
- "Patriots Announce Roster Cutdown". Patriots.com. September 1, 2018.
- Mink, Ryan (September 3, 2018). "Ravens Officially Add Cyrus Jones, Complete Practice Squad". BaltimoreRavens.com.
- Reiss, Mike (September 19, 2018). "Seeking punt returner, Patriots sign CB Cyrus Jones". ESPN.com. Retrieved September 19, 2018.
- "Patriots release DB Cyrus Jones". Patriots.com. October 6, 2018.
- Mink, Ryan (October 8, 2018). "Ravens Bring CB/RS Cyrus Jones Home … Again". BaltimoreRavens.com.
- Around the NFL staff (November 28, 2018). "Philip Rivers, Amari Cooper among Players of the Week". NFL.com.CS1 maint: uses authors parameter (link)
- "Patriots rookie Cyrus Jones plans to clamp down on social media". 247 Sports. Retrieved December 21, 2018.