Cycling at the 2016 Summer Olympics – Women's team sprint
|Women's team sprint cycling|
at the Games of the XXXI Olympiad
|Venue||Rio Olympic Velodrome|
|Competitors||18 from 9 nations|
The event was won by the Chinese pairing of Gong Jinjie and Zhong Tianshi over the Russian pairing of Daria Shmeleva and Anastasia Voynova. The defending champions, Germans Kristina Vogel and Miriam Welte, won the bronze medal.
The women's team sprint race consists of a two-lap race between two teams of two cyclists, starting on opposite sides of the track. Each member of the team must lead for one of the laps.
|Friday 12 August 2016||16:00||Qualifications and final|
The fastest 8 teams qualify for the first round.
|5||Netherlands||Laurine van Riessen
|9||New Zealand||Natasha Hansen
- Q = qualified
First round heats are held as follows:
Heat 1: 4th v 5th qualifier
Heat 2: 3rd v 6th qualifier
Heat 3: 2nd v 7th qualifier
Heat 4: 1st v 8th qualifier
The heat winners are ranked on time, from which the top 2 proceed to the gold medal final and the other 2 proceed to the bronze medal final.
|31.928||QG, WR, OR|
|5||1||Netherlands||Laurine van Riessen
- QG = qualified for gold medal final
- QB = qualified for bronze medal final
The final classification is determined in the medal finals.
|Bronze medal final|
|Gold medal final|
- "Cycling at the 2016 Summer Olympics – Women's team sprint". Rio 2016. Archived from the original on 6 August 2016. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- "Qualifying" (PDF). Rio 2016. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2016-10-10. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- "First Round" (PDF). Rio 2016. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2016-10-10. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- "Results and Final Classification" (PDF). Rio 2016. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2016-10-10. Retrieved 8 October 2016.