Cyclamen repandum, the spring sowbread, is a species of flowering plant in the family Primulaceae, native to southern Europe and some Mediterranean islands. It is the most widespread of a group of cyclamens (genus Cyclamen subgenus Psilanthum) with wide, heart-shaped leaves, often coarsely toothed or lobed, and late spring-blooming flowers with long, slender petals.
Cyclamen repandum grows in rocky areas, shrubland, and woodland near the Mediterranean from southeastern France through Italy to Serbia and on Corsica, Sardinia, and Sicily. The tuber of the C. repandum group roots only from the center of the bottom. Leaves are dark green with a lighter arrowhead pattern, not speckled. Flowers are deep carmine-pink or white, without a darker nose. They lack the auricles present in Cyclamen hederifolium.
When species of the Cyclamen repandum group are growing together, hybrids can emerge:
- Cyclamen × meiklei Grey-Wilson (C. creticum × C. repandum)
- Cyclamen × saundersii Grey-Wilson (C. repandium × C. balearicum)
- Cyclamen creticum × Cyclamen balearicum
Cyclamen repandum is a deciduous plant that has a hardiness rating of H4 (This refers to the UK growing conditions, H4 being hardy through most of the UK and can withstand temperatures down to -5 to -10°C). It requires partial shade and can grow in chalk, clay, sand or loam. It can grow in any pH level; acid, alkaline or neutral. C. repandum can grow to an ultimate height of 10cm and can take anywhere between 2-5 years to reach this height.
- BSBI List 2007 (xls). Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland. Archived from the original (xls) on 2015-06-26. Retrieved 2014-10-17.
- ψιλός, ἄνθος1. Liddell, Henry George; Scott, Robert; A Greek–English Lexicon at the Perseus Project
- rĕpandus. Charlton T. Lewis and Charles Short. A Latin Dictionary on Perseus Project.
- "Check how hardy plants are using RHS hardiness ratings / RHS Gardening". www.rhs.org.uk. Retrieved 2020-02-22.
- "Cyclamen repandum". Royal Horticultural Society. 2020. Retrieved 22 February 2020.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Cyclamen repandum subsp. repandum". Retrieved 19 February 2020.
- "AGM Plants - Ornamental" (PDF). Royal Horticultural Society. July 2017. p. 26. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cyclamen repandum.|
|Wikispecies has information related to Cyclamen repandum.|