Cyberdreams Interactive Entertainment was a video game publisher located in California that specialized in adventure games developed in collaboration with famous names from the fantasy, horror and science fiction genres between 1990 and 1997.
|Industry||Computer and video games|
Rolf Klug (owner)|
Patrick Ketchum (president, 1990-1995)
Paul Licari (general manager, 1995-1997)
|Products||Dark Seed series, I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream|
|Parent||MGM Interactive(de facto, 1995-1997)|
Patrick Ketchum, who had founded Datasoft before, founded the company in 1990. In 1995 an "internal shake-up" took place by which the investors removed management and installed a "turnaround management team" that should accomplish the transition to third-party publishing. Ketchum left the company and started a career as photographer. The company went defunct early in 1997.
Cyberdreams' most successful titles were Dark Seed, incorporating the art of H. R. Giger, and I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream, based upon Harlan Ellison's short story of the same name. Cyberdreams other published titles included CyberRace, a futuristic racing game using the vehicle designs of Syd Mead, Noir: A Shadowy Thriller, a film noir interactive movie, and a sequel to Dark Seed.
List of published titlesEdit
- Dark Seed (1992)
- CyberRace (1993)
- Red Hell (1993)
- Dark Seed II (1995)
- I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream (1995)
- Noir: A Shadowy Thriller (1996)
Titles announced by Cyberdreams but never completed include Hunters of Ralk, a role-playing video game designed by Dungeons & Dragons creator Gary Gygax, and Wes Craven's Principles of Fear, based on a concept by film director Wes Craven. Other announced, but unreleased games are Evolver, an adaptation of Species, Reverence, and The Incredible Shrinking Character. Only two survived with the help of other publishers: Ares Rising and Blue Heat. Reverence was also eventually leaked as a playable prototype.
- "The 1995 Winter Consumer Electronic Show - Report - Coming Soon Magazine". Csoon.com. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "Principles of Fear". Game-nostalgia.com. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "Gamers Get a Taste of Fear". GameSpot.com. 2000-04-26. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "The Mugs of Sacrifice, pt. 5". IGN.com. 2000-11-13. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "MGM Interactive gets in bed with CyberDreams". Connection.ebscohost.com. 1995-12-04. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "Reverence". Thecomputershow.com. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "The Incredible Shrinking Character [Cancelled – PSX SAT PC]". Unseen64.net. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "U64!Leaks? — Reverence | PC | Leaked Playable Prototype: You". U64leaks.tumblr.com. 2015-12-17. Retrieved 2016-06-26.