Curve is a lesbian magazine published in the United States. It covers news, politics, social issues, and includes celebrity interviews and stories on entertainment, pop culture, style, travel, and a website that hosts an internet forum focusing on lesbian issues, active since 2000.
Curve, January 2009
|Year founded||1990 (as Deneuve)|
|Based in||San Francisco|
History and profileEdit
Founded by Frances "Franco" Stevens in San Francisco in 1990, Curve was first published as Deneuve but was renamed in 1996 after a trademark dispute with French actress Catherine Deneuve. Diane Anderson-Minshall was editor-in-chief when the magazine was acquired by Avalon Media in 2010. Merryn Johns became editor-in-chief with the change in ownership.
In May 2007, actress Michelle Rodriguez criticized Curve and accused its editors of attempting to "out" her. Rodriguez stated, "As far as rumors go of me coming out, I guess Curve magazine took it upon themselves to out me on the premise of their own suspicions.... to put words in someone's mouth and place people in categories affects them for sure, especially in this business." Her comments ended up angering many in the gay community and some even accused her of being homophobic. Rodriguez has denied those claims as well.
In the July/August 2007 issue of Curve, editors responded to this criticism by stating: "If you read the article, you will see that the author did not, in fact, 'out' Rodriguez; rather, the article stated both that "Rodriguez has never publicly come out" and "Rodriguez has said she is not a lesbian."
- Seligman, Katherine (May 12, 1996). "Thrown for a Curve". SF Gate. Hearst Communications. Retrieved 5 March 2018.
- Cassell, Heather (October 20, 2010). "Publisher sells SF-based Curve magazine". Bay Area Reporter. Retrieved 22 January 2019. (Vol. 40, No. 42, p. 16)
- Schroeder, Stephanie (October 12, 2010). "A Curve in the Road for Curve Magazine". GO. Retrieved 22 January 2019.
- "About Us". Curve Magazine. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- "Curve Facts". Curve Magazine. 2019. Retrieved 22 January 2019.
- "Michelle Rodriguez hits back at Curve magazine". The Advocate. May 5, 2007.
- Berrios, Valerie (August 12, 2015). "Think Print vs. Digital When Pitching Curve Magazine". Adweek.
- Bianco, Marcie (July 27, 2015). "This Is What 25 Years Of Lesbian Culture In Print Looks Like". BuzzFeed.
- Johns, Merryn (December 20, 2016). "Lesbian Is Not Just an Identity—It's Something You Do". Slate.