Croatian Meteorological and Hydrological Service
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Državni hidrometeorološki zavod|
|Formed||27 August 1947|
|Headquarters||Grič 3, Zagreb, Croatia|
|Employees||399 (31 Dec 2011)|
- 1 History
- 2 Mission
- 3 DHMZ activities
- 4 National meteorological and hydrological infrastructure and air quality monitoring infrastructure (as of 31/12/2015)
- 5 The membership and partnership with international and intergovernmental organizations and programs
- 6 Noted employees
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 Further reading
- 10 External links
DHMZ was founded 1947 and since then it is located on Grič 3 in Upper Town, old part of Zagreb. Before Croatia gained independence in 1991, it meteorological and hydrological service has been a part of the meteorological and hydrological service in the former Yugoslavia. After Croatia gaining independence, DHMZ operates as a state service. Since 1992, Croatia has been a member of the World Meteorological Organization, United Nations' agency specialized in weather, climate and water.
It is important to say that, although DHMZ was founded in 1947, the oldest Croatian meteorological station operating continuously was Zagreb-Grič, established in 1861 and DHMZ has such invaluable data in its responsibility.
The DHMZ supports the economic and sustainable development of Croatia and assists in the protection of lives, goods and the environment by providing information on the following: weather, climate, hydrological and ecological events and climate extremes with the aim of mitigating their consequences in line with WMO recommendations and EU directives.
The DHMZ manages the meteorological and hydrological infrastructure, air quality monitoring infrastructure, as well as the national archives of meteorological, hydrological and other relevant data.
The DHMZ is a reliable and reputable international partner, particularly in southeastern and central Europe.
- Construction of infrastructure and measurement systems, as well as planning and maintenance of all kinds of meteorological and hydrological stations and air quality measurement stations
- Development and maintenance of various databases (meteorological, hydrological, air quality)
- Provision of information on meteorology, hydrology and air quality to users (the DHMZ issues warnings and produces analyses, forecasts, studies and surveys). This is achieved through the application of scientific methods and the use of powerful computers and sophisticated software in producing numerical models
- Applied scientific research and development of methods designed to enhance the quality of information which the DHMZ offers to its users.
- Operational implementation of hailstorm defense
- DHMZ products/services are used in the following areas: public information services, physical planning, Construction, strategic planning, urban planning, architecture, water resource management, electricity resource management, traffic, healthcare, sports, physical recreation, environment and nature protection, agriculture, civil protection, protection of lives
National meteorological and hydrological infrastructure and air quality monitoring infrastructure (as of 31/12/2015)Edit
40 main meteorological stations
104 climatological stations
339 rain fall stations
487 surface water measurement stations
698 groundwater measurement stations
10 background stations
9 urban stations
59 phenological stations
2 radiosonde stations
The membership and partnership with international and intergovernmental organizations and programsEdit
WMO - World Meteorological Organization,
ECMWF - European Centre for Medium - Range Weather Forecasts
EUMETSAT - EUMETSAT - European Organization for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites
 - IPCC - Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
 - JCOMM - Joint WMO/lOC Technical Commission for Oceanography and Marine Meteorology
 - GCOS - Global Climate Observing System
ICCED - Informal Conference of Central European Directors of hydrological and Meteorological Services
ICSEED - Informal Conference of South-East European NMHS Directors
- = Department of Geophysics, Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb =
- Department of Geophysics, Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb
- Croatian Meteorological Society
- "O nama". klima.hr (in Croatian). Croatian Meteorological and Hydrological Service. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- Čačić, Ivan; Pandžić, Krešo; Žibrat, Zvonko, eds. (2014). 160 godina meteoroloških motrenja i njihova primjena u Hrvatskoj [160 Years of Meteorological Observations and Their Application in Croatia] (PDF) (in Croatian and English). Croatian Meteorological and Hydrological Service. ISBN 978-953-7526-04-7. Retrieved 17 June 2015.