Crazy Peoples Right to Speak
Crazy Peoples Right to Speak is the third album by the British new wave/pop rock band Kajagoogoo, released in 1985. For this release, the band had shortened its name to Kaja, a name the band used earlier for the U.S. release of their second album, Islands. By this time, the band was a three-piece as drummer Jez Strode had quit in 1984.
|Crazy Peoples Right to Speak|
|Studio album by|
|Released||1985 (LP/MC), 2004 (CD)|
|Recorded||February - July 1985|
|Genre||New wave, pop rock|
The album was not a commercial success and failed to make the UK Top 100. The only single from the album, "Shouldn't Do That", reached number 63 in the UK.
After the failure of the album, the band split up in late 1985. However, after the band was featured on the VH1 programme Bands Reunited in 2004, renewed interest in Kajagoogoo prompted EMI to re-issue the band's three studio albums including Crazy Peoples Right to Speak. The album was remastered and four bonus tracks were added to the original ten tracks: two remixes of "Shouldn't Do That", and two tracks that were previously only available in the single's limited edition gatefold double pack release in 1985.
All lyrics written by Nick Beggs; music by Askew/Beggs/Neale.
- "Do I" – 3:27
- "Shouldn’t Do That" – 3:16
- "Your Appetite" – 4:21
- "Rivers" – 4:34
- "Sit Down and Shut Up" – 3:51
- "Afraid of You" – 3:49
- "Jigsaw" – 3:49
- "Fear of Falling" – 3:13
- "Charm of a Gun" – 4:28
- "You Really Take My Breath Away" – 4:53
- "Shouldn’t Do That (Disciplined)"* – 6:58
- "Shouldn’t Do That (Undisciplined)"* – 5:57
- "Hurricane"* – 3:55
- "Whatever You Want"* – 3:42
Tracks marked with an asterisk (*) only appear as bonus tracks on the 2004 reissue.
- Nick Beggs - bass guitar, Chapman Stick, percussion, lead vocals
- Steve Askew - guitars, e-bow, sitar, backing vocals
- Stuart Neale - keyboards, drum programming, backing vocals
- Additional personnel
- Dave Mattacks - drums (1,6)
- Luis Jardim - percussion (7)
- Michael Thompson - guitar (3,9)
- Annie McCaig - backing vocals (3,7)
- Lezlee Cowling - backing vocals (8-10)
Mixed by Stuart Neale, Nick Beggs, Steve Askew and Phil Ryan.
Produced by Ken Scott.
Recorded in the U.K. & U.S. between February & July 1985 at:
Sarm West with Heff Moraes.
Good Earth with Gordon Fütter.
Total Access, L.A. with Wyn Davis, Mike Laurdie, Pabini.
Utopia with Chris Sheldon.
Air with Nigel Walker, John Jacobs, Mike.
Trident with Alan Moulder.