Cory Barlog (born September 2, 1975) is the creative director at SIE Santa Monica Studio. He is a video game director and writer, known for his work on God of War (2005), God of War II, and God of War (2018).
Barlog at the 2019 Game Developers Choice Awards
|Born||September 2, 1975|
|Occupation||Video game designer, director|
|God of War series|
Barlog is the son of fantasy novelist J. M. Barlog. His father wrote the novelisation for the 2018 God of War game, for which Cory wrote the foreward.
After joining Santa Monica, Barlog was the lead animator for God of War (2005), and was game director of God of War II (2007), for which he won a BAFTA for his writing work on the game. He also served as game director of God of War III (2010) for the first eight months of its development. Although not part of Sony at the time, he helped in writing God of War: Ghost of Sparta (2010).
He was a keynote speaker at ECAROcon 2008 in Syracuse, New York and later worked at LucasArts. In an interview with website Mega64 he announced that one title he is working on is an adaptation of the fourth Mad Max film, titled Fury Road. He was reported to be in Sweden to develop the title with Avalanche Studios, best known for the Just Cause series. A few years later, various gaming websites confirmed the title being in development but Barlog left Avalanche Studios when the title was still in early development.
In March 2012, it was announced that Barlog joined Crystal Dynamics to direct the cinematics for the new Tomb Raider game and go on to direct an unannounced game. Barlog left the company in April 2013.
In August 2013, it was announced that Barlog would return to SIE Sony Santa Monica. There, Barlog serves as creative director for the studio, and directed 2018's God of War, for which he won best game direction and overall game of the year at The Game Awards 2018 ceremony.
|2002||X-Men: Next Dimension||Lead animator||Paradox Development|
|2003||Backyard Wrestling: Don't Try This at Home||Lead animator|
|2005||God of War||Lead animator||SIE Santa Monica Studio|
|2007||God of War II||Game director, story writer|
|2008||God of War: Chains of Olympus||Story writer|
|2010||God of War III||Initial design, story layout|
|2010||God of War: Ghost of Sparta||Story writer|
|2013||Tomb Raider (2013)||Cinematics director||Crystal Dynamics|
|2018||God of War (2018)||Game director, story writer||SIE Santa Monica Studio|
- "Cory Barlog Net Worth 2018: What Is This Game Developer Worth?". The Squander. 2018-05-04. Retrieved 2018-10-03.
- "God of War III officially PS3-bound". Gamespot. 2007-11-06. Retrieved 2007-11-07.
- "Ex-God of War director joins Tomb Raider developer". Retrieved 2012-03-02.
- "Cory Barlog joins Crystal Dynamics to work on Tomb Raider and unannounced game". Polygon. March 2, 2012. Retrieved June 16, 2019.
- "LinkedIn profile".
- "Cory Barlog Returns to Sony Santa Monica Studio". PlayStation.Blog. 2013-08-09. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- Gach, Ethan. "God of War Wins Game Of The Year At The 2018 Game Awards". Kotaku. Retrieved 7 December 2018.