Cornwall, Prince Edward Island
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Entrance to Hyde Park
|Province||Prince Edward Island|
|Incorporated Town||April 1, 1995|
|• Type||Town Council|
|• Mayor||Minerva McCourt|
|• Deputy Mayor||Gary Ramsay|
|• Councillors||Elaine Barnes, Irene Dawson, Jill MacIsaac, Shane McGuigan, Peter Meggs|
|• CAO||Kevin McCarville|
|• Land||28.19 km2 (10.88 sq mi)|
|Elevation||27 m (89 ft)|
|• Density||189.7/km2 (491/sq mi)|
|• Change (2011-2016)||3.6%|
|Time zone||UTC-4 (Atlantic (AST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-3 (ADT)|
|Canadian Postal code|
C0A 1H0 & C0A 3H0
The town is located immediately west of the provincial capital Charlottetown.
The community of Cornwall traces its history to European settlement in the 18th century and was a predominantly farming community until the construction of Route 1, the Trans-Canada Highway, during the early 1910s. Several subdivisions were created near the intersection of the new highway with the Meadowbank Road, along with a small commercial strip.
The amalgamation did not see many controversies. The name of the community of Cornwall survived although the legislation designated the new town as Charlottetown West but amid the call of some residents for a new community name, as was occurring in the case of Stratford (also amalgamated at the same time as Charlottetown South), the community decided to rename the town Cornwall once again.
- Westwood Primary School
- Eliot River Elementary School
- East Wiltshire Junior High
Students graduate East Wiltshire and go on to attend Bluefield High School in Hampshire for grades 10 to 12.
The town established the Cornwall Business Park in 1997.
- "Census Profile, 2016 Census Cornwall, Town [Census subdivision], Prince Edward Island". Statistics Canada. Retrieved October 10, 2019.
- "Interim List of Changes to Municipal Boundaries, Status and Names: January 2, 1991 to January 1, 1996" (PDF). Statistics Canada. February 1997. p. 42. Retrieved October 28, 2018.
- "New School Board".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-04-25. Retrieved 2015-04-10.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)