Corine Spier-Rottschäfer (8 May 1938 – 24 September 2020) was a Dutch model and beauty queen who won the 1959 Miss World contest, representing the Netherlands. She was the first woman from her country to win the title. The pageant was held in London, United Kingdom.
|Born||8 May 1938|
|Died||24 September 2020(aged 82)|
|Beauty pageant titleholder|
|Miss Holland 1957|
Miss Europe 1957
Miss Universe 1958
Miss World 1959
Rottschäfer was born on 8 May 1938 in Hoorn. Prior to winning the Miss World title, Rottschäfer also won Miss Europe in the year 1957. She also participated in Miss Universe pageant in the year 1958, where she reached top 15 and won the Miss Photogenic award.
At the Miss World 1959 pageant, a few hours before the announcement of the winner, Corine discovered holes in her evening dress. Miss Israel, Ziva Shomrat was kind enough to lend her an evening dress and it so happened that Corine was adjudged the winner and Miss Israel finished third in the competition. In 1962 she married architect and later politician Edo Spier.
In 1964, after a successful international career in modeling, she founded the model agency Corine's Agency in Amsterdam which was the first professional model agency in the Netherlands. The agency ran into trouble, because that kind of job placement wasn't allowed at the time. Rottschäfer appealed her case all the way to the Supreme Court, and forced the law to be changed. She ran the agency until her retirement in 2002.
She died on 24 September 2020.
- "Miss World 1959 – Corine Rottschafer – Netherlands". Archived from the original on 24 March 2010. Retrieved 24 March 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link). missworld.com
- "Miss Holland 1957 | Miss Holland Now |" (in Dutch). Retrieved 11 December 2020.
- (in Dutch) Lansdaal, Herman. Hoornse baby zou mooiste miss van de wereld worden Oud Hoorn nr. 14 1992
- "Nederlands eerste Miss World Corine Spier-Rottschäfer overleden" (in Dutch). Nederlandse Omroep Stichting. 24 September 2020. Archived from the original on 24 September 2020.
- "Miss Worlds of the 50s and where they are now". The Times of India. 31 July 2015.
- "Eerste Nederlandse Miss World Corine Spier overleden" (in Dutch). de Telegraaf. 24 September 2020. Retrieved 24 September 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Nederlands eerste Miss World Corine Spier-Rottschäfer overleden". Varone.nl (in Dutch). Retrieved 24 September 2020.
- "Dit is vast een bordeel" (PDF). Elsevier Magazine via Ilonka Leenheer (in Dutch). 2013.
- "Bodine Koehler: segura de sí misma". Elnuevodia.com. 19 November 2011.
- Media related to Corine Rottschäfer at Wikimedia Commons
|Awards and achievements|
| Miss World
| Miss Holland