Cool Patrol is the sixth studio album by American musical comedy duo Ninja Sex Party, released on August 17, 2018. Following two cover albums, it marks their return to original and comedy-oriented material since Attitude City in 2015.
|Studio album by|
|Released||August 17, 2018|
|Producer||Jim Roach, Jim Arsenault, Dave Dominguez|
|Ninja Sex Party chronology|
|Singles from Cool Patrol|
It is also their first release with new producer and co-songwriter Jim Roach, and their first original album to feature Tupper Ware Remix Party as backup band. Five tracks were released as singles between 2016 and 2018. Upon release, the album reached #1 on Billboard's Top Comedy Albums and Independent Albums charts, topping the first for seven consecutive weeks; it was ultimately the #1 comedy album of the year on their Year-end charts.
Recording and productionEdit
Cool Patrol marked the first time that original Ninja Sex Party songs were not written solely by Avidan and Wecht, as their new producer Jim Roach co-wrote six of the fifteen tracks of the album; "Orgy for One" was released as a single on March 6, 2018, making it the first released song of the band not solely written by the duo. All the songs were written by Avidan and Wecht, with some co-written by Roach. Avidan stated that Roach "really shares our sensibilities, and kind of helps us with ideas, and he has kind of opened up our music world."
"Danny Don't You Know" is a power ballad; With Guitar also noted the presence of other genres through the album, such as new wave ("Cool Patrol"), synth-pop ("Orgy for One"), heavy metal ("Release the Kraken"), and madrigal ("Courtship of the Mermaid").
The idea for "Danny Don't You Know" came from January 2017, when actor Finn Wolfhard appeared as a guest in two episodes of Avidan's show Guest Grumps. According to Avidan, Wolfhard had been a fan of Ninja Sex Party since the age of nine, when his older brother Nick introduced him to either Ninja Sex Party or Game Grumps (of which Guest Grumps is a spin-off), stating "as young as he is, he's like, six or seven years deep being a fan with us. So he came to the office and he's just such a great kid, and we ended up taking pictures with him, but I happened to be wearing the same shirt as him, and it looks shockingly like an evolutionary timeline. [...] And so we just decided to sort of write a song around that, 'cause we asked him if he'd be cool with playing the young version of me in a video." Wecht added:"It's the only time we've ever written a song based on like, a photo basically." Writing the song was emotional for Avidan, "because it's sort of [me and Wecht's] life story. It's about me specifically, but we both had the same kind of nerdy upbringing."
Wecht further recalled: "Everyone was like, 'Finn, you look like you’re young Dan.' Then we basically all had the same idea at the same time, which was, 'Why don’t we write a song in which he is young Dan?'" Shortly after its release as a single on June 25, 2018, The band called "Danny Don't You Know" their "favorite-ever song", both musically and as a video, with Avidan stating on a latter interview that "everything seemed to come together right on that one".
Avidan and Wecht stated that "Release the Kraken" was their other favourite song on the album, with Avidan stating "We're big fans of like, progressive rock from the 70s and 80s rock too, and that [song] kind of has both in a weird way".
The ninth track, "Heart Boner (Part II of the Boner Trilogy)", is a follow-up to the song "No Reason Boner" released in February 2010 and later included in Ninja Sex Party's 2011 debut album NSFW. Wecht stated "The character of Danny Sexbang is this like emotionally stunted man-child. The most romantic thing he could possibly think of would be a heart boner", while Avidan added "The character is very genuine and very heartfelt, and he’s not putting on an act, but a heart boner would be his image of the truest expression of love." According to Avidan, the song's subtitle was a nod to the tendency of progressive rock bands to make "big trilogies and series of songs over the course of 10 different albums." The song was written by Avidan, Wecht and Roach, with Dallas Kruse acting as arranger of the string section. Wecht called "GFY" "kind of like a marching band thing, very 'in your face.'"
Crew and productionEdit
In addition to Roach as producer and engineer, the production crew included Eric Palmquist as additional engineer, Thom Flowers as mixing engineer, and Randy Merrill as mastering engineer. "Cool Patrol" and "Courtship of the Mermaid" were produced by Jim Arsenault, who had produced the band's two previous Under the Covers albums, and Dave Dominguez; they were mixed by Steel Panther producer Jay Ruston, who was assisted by Jack Douglass. Shortly after the release, Avidan stated "It’s the proudest I’ve ever been of anything we’ve done. It sounds like a real band. It doesn’t seem like too much to ask, but it’s a big deal to us."
Canadian band Tupper Ware Remix Party performed as the backup band on the album, as they did on the previous two albums; it was the first original Ninja Sex Party album to feature them. Other guests include Panic! at the Disco session member Kenneth "Kenny" Harris performing a guitar solo on "Orgy for One", and Bob Reynolds and Rashawn Ross performing saxophone and trumpet respectively on "Smooth Talkin'".
Recording and post-productionEdit
The album was recorded in three different studios: Palmquist Studios in Los Angeles, Santa Monica Recordings in Santa Monica, and Buffalo Recording in Los Angeles (the latter for the songs produced by Arsenault and Dominguez).
On March 6, 2018, the band confirmed that the audio production of the album was completed, and that they were aiming at a "probable July release" which would be preceded with two new original song releases in the meantime. As of May 8, 2018, all audio work on the album was finished, and the album design was being completed. During the post-production of Cool Patrol, the band recorded their next cover album, Under the Covers, Vol. III; in parallel, they also recorded The TryForce, the third album of Starbomb, a band both Avidan and Wecht are also members of; both Under the Covers, Vol. III and The TryForce are produced by Roach.
The tracklist was officially announced on August 1, 2018, although it had already been leaked on Classic Rock on June 26. The album became available for pre-orders on the same day, in two editions: standard, including a poster of the band, and Deluxe, signed by Avidan and Wecht.
Singles and music videosEdit
The first single from the album, "Cool Patrol", was released as a single and music video on October 18, 2016, reached #1 on the iTunes Comedy chart. The video features YouTuber Jacksepticeye. "Eating Food in the Shower" was released as a single and music video on February 16, 2017. On March 6, 2018, the band released "Orgy for One" as a single and music video.
On June 25, 2018, the band released the music video for "Danny Don't You Know", along with the official release date of Cool Patrol, August 17. As planned when writing the song, Wolfhard appeared in the video as a younger Danny Sexbang. "Danny Don't You Know" became the #1 trending video on YouTube when released. On September 17, the band performed the song as a musical guest on Conan along with TWRP.
"First Date" was released as an animated music video on August 10, 2018, animated by Simon Macko. "Release the Kraken" was also released as an animated music video on November 29, 2018, animated by KLN.
The music video for "Courtship of the Mermaid" was released on June 24, 2019, featuring cameos from Adam Kovic and Lawrence Sonntag of Funhaus. An animated video for "Mansion Party" was released on September 6, 2019, also animated by Simon Macko.
With Guitar stated "Ninja Sex Party have a sound as epic as Danny Sexbang’s fur-lined cape and more intense than Ninja Brian’s ninja pants. From the raging metal guitars of 'Release the Kraken' and synth jam 'Orgy for One' to the bouncy new wave of the dance-along title track to the delicate madrigals and bone-fracturing sound effects of 'Courtship of the Mermaid', it’s the most polished and sonically diverse Ninja Sex Party album to date."
"Danny Don't You Know" became the #1 trending video on YouTube when released as a single, and received notable praise from several media outlets. Classic Rock called the song it a "power ballad life lesson triumph", while Pop Buzz considered it "very inspiring". Louder called the song "brilliant", stating, "This is the sort of life-affirmation we all need every once in a while." The popularity of the song led to Ninja Sex Party performing the song with Tupper Ware Remix Party on the late-night talk show Conan on September 17, 2018 in their live television debut; this censored version, which replaced the word "fuck" with "heck" and "hell", was released as a studio recording on September 21, under the name "Danny Don't You Know (Cool as Heck Version)". Avidan stated that the reaction to "Danny Don't You Know" made him and Wecht very emotional: "People started having a much different reaction to it than they had with any of our previous songs by far. [...] Even people in our personal lives were reaching out to us and saying like 'This means a lot to me', and that had never happened before."
|3.||"Orgy for One"||Avidan, Wecht, Jim Roach||3:23|
|4.||"Danny Don't You Know"||Avidan, Wecht, Roach||4:35|
|5.||"Release the Kraken"||Avidan, Wecht, Roach||3:20|
|6.||"Ninja Brian Goes to Soccer Practice"||0:31|
|7.||"First Date"||Avidan, Wecht, Roach||2:45|
|9.||"Heart Boner (Part II of the Boner Trilogy)"||Avidan, Wecht, Roach; string arrangement by Dallas Kruse||4:13|
|11.||"Eating Food in the Shower"||2:09|
|12.||"Courtship of the Mermaid"||2:49|
|14.||"Mansion Party"||Avidan, Wecht, Roach||2:45|
Credits adapted from the album's liner notes.
Ninja Sex Party
|US Billboard 200||21|
|US Independent Albums (Billboard)||1|
|US Top Comedy Albums (Billboard)||1|
|US Top Rock Albums (Billboard)||2|
- Lewry, Fraser (July 26, 2018). "Kid from Stranger Things + Ninja Sex Party = power ballad life lesson triumph". Classic Rock. Retrieved June 26, 2018.
- O'Neal, Sean (2018-06-25). "Stranger Things' Finn Wolfhard IS Danny Sexbang for Ninja Sex Party". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 2018-06-25.
- "tentative album schedule". Ninja Sex Party's official Twitter. May 8, 2018. Retrieved July 2, 2018.
- "Top Comedy Albums". Billboard. 2018-10-05. Retrieved October 5, 2018.
- "Independent Albums for September 15 week". Billboard. Retrieved September 11, 2018.
- "YEAR-END CHARTS COMEDY ALBUMS". Billboard. Retrieved December 11, 2018.
- "Orgy for One - Ninja Sex Party". YouTube. July 26, 2018. Retrieved March 6, 2018.
- "Geek.com interview". Geek.com. September 13, 2018. Retrieved September 28, 2018.
- "Ninja Sex Party's COOL PATROL Out Today", With Guitar, August 17, 2018, retrieved September 11, 2018
- O'Neal, Sean (August 2, 2018). "Stranger Things' Finn Wolfhard IS Danny Sexbang for Ninja Sex Party". Billboard. Retrieved September 11, 2018.
- Cool Patrol (CD). Ninja Sex Party. United States: Ninja Sex Party. 2018.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Danny Don't You Know - Ninja Sex Party". YouTube. July 26, 2018. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- "Heart Boner - Ninja Sex Party", YouTube, Ninja Sex Party, August 2, 2018, retrieved August 2, 2018
- Willis, Daniel J. (2018-08-29). "Ninja Sex Party drops string theory for boner rock". www.riffmagazine.com. RIFF Magazine. Retrieved 2018-08-31.
- "We're incredibly happy that you guys like Orgy for One!", Facebook, Ninja Sex Party, March 6, 2018, retrieved July 26, 2018
- GameGrumps (2017-11-05), Super Mario Odyssey: Wrong Lyrics - PART 4 - Game Grumps, retrieved 2017-11-06
- Ninja Sex Party (August 18, 2018), Thank you, everybody, for your reaction to Cool Patrol., retrieved August 19, 2018
- "TRACK LIST GET HYPE", Facebook, Ninja Sex Party, August 1, 2018, retrieved August 2, 2018
- "It's official: pre-orders for Cool Patrol will be live on THURSDAY AUGUST 2ND.", Facebook, Ninja Sex Party, August 1, 2018, retrieved August 2, 2018
- "Cool Patrol - NSP", YouTube, Ninja Sex Party, October 18, 2016, retrieved September 12, 2018
- "Chart-Topping Comedy Band Ninja Sex Party Announce "Rock Hard 2017" U.S. Tour". I'm Music Magazine. 31 March 2017. Retrieved 31 July 2018.
- "danny don't you know is #1 on trending rn". Ninja Sex Party's Twitter. June 26, 2018. Retrieved July 26, 2018.
- "Danny Don't You Know - Ninja Sex Party". Ninja Sex Party's YouTube channel. August 10, 2018. Retrieved August 10, 2018.
- "Release the Kraken - Ninja Sex Party". Ninja Sex Party's YouTube channel. November 30, 2018. Retrieved November 29, 2018.
- "Courtship of the Mermaid - Ninja Sex Party". Ninja Sex Party's YouTube channel. June 24, 2019. Retrieved October 22, 2019.
- "Mansion Party - Ninja Sex Party". Ninja Sex Party's YouTube channel. September 6, 2019. Retrieved October 22, 2019.
- "Wow! Our video is #1 Trending on Youtube!". Sean Barrett's Twitter. June 26, 2018. Retrieved July 26, 2018.
- "Ninja Sex Party - Chart History". Billboard. Retrieved July 27, 2018.
- "Finn Wolfhard Stars As A Young Danny Sexbang In New Ninja Sex Party Music Video". Pop Buzz. June 26, 2018. Retrieved July 26, 2018.
- "Louder's Tracks Of The Week: new music from Alice In Chains, Coheed And Cambria and more". Louder. June 29, 2018. Retrieved September 11, 2018.
- "Ninja Sex Party "Danny Don't You Know" 09/17/18". www.teamcoco.com. Conan. September 18, 2018. Retrieved September 19, 2018.
- "OH MY GOLLY GOSH". Ninja Sex Party's Facebook. September 21, 2018. Retrieved September 22, 2018.
- "Top Comedy Albums". Billboard. Retrieved September 11, 2018.
- "Rock Albums for September 1 week". Billboard. Retrieved September 11, 2018.
- "Billboard 200 for September 1 week". Billboard. Retrieved September 12, 2018.
- "Ninja Sex Party Chart History (Billboard 200)". Billboard. Retrieved August 28, 2018.
- "Ninja Sex Party Chart History (Independent Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved August 28, 2018.
- "Ninja Sex Party Chart History (Top Comedy Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved August 28, 2018.
- "Ninja Sex Party Chart History (Top Rock Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved August 28, 2018.