The Colombo Marathon, officially known as the LSR Colombo Marathon and formerly known as the LSR International Marathon, is a marathon held annually since 1998 in Colombo, capital city of Sri Lanka. It is a permanent member of Association of International Marathons and Distance Races (AIMS). It also has voting rights in AIMS, which makes it one of 56 races out of 110 worldwide with that right.
logo of Colombo Marathon
|Date||1st Sunday of October|
|Location||Colombo, Sri Lanka|
|Distance||5 km, 10 km, half and full Marathon|
|Primary sponsor||LSR Travel (LSR)|
Anthony Mugo 2:18:33
Winfrida Kwamboka 2:46:53
|Official site||Colombo Marathon|
In the late 1990s, Sri Lankan tour operator LSR decided to start an international marathon in Sri Lanka because there was no such event in Sri Lanka at that time. The first marathon, the "LSR International Marathon", was held in the city of Galle in 1998. The host city of the marathon subsequently changed to Negombo, Kandy, and then Dambulla, before Sri Lanka's capital Colombo hosted the event for the first time in 2004. In 2006 the name of marathon was changed to the "LSR Colombo Marathon".
Travel agent and tour operator company Lanka Sportreizen (LSR) is the organizer and primary sponsor of the marathon. The event is also supported by the Ministry of Tourism, the Ministry of Youth Affairs, the Ministry of Education, and the Ministry of Sport, along with Sri Lankan Airlines and the Sri Lanka Police Service. Technical assistance is provided by the Athletic Association of Sri Lanka. Some of the key objectives of the marathon are to promote recreational activities in Sri Lanka and to promote Sri Lanka as safe and ideal place for tourism and sports.
Participants and prizeEdit
The 2015 edition of the marathon hosted around 7,000 runners from more than 30 countries, who participated in various categories. The prize money for the event was increased from 2014 to encourage an increase in participation, with the prize money for winner of full marathon increasing from $1,500 (US) to $2,500 (US). The event includes a special full and half marathons for men and women over 50 years in addition to a "fun run" of 5 and 10 km for youth aged more than 15 years.
The full marathon starts at the headquarters of the Ministry of Sports and proceeds through the suburbs of Borella, Dematagoda, Peliyagoda, Wattala, along the Hamilton Canal, Pamunugama, Thalahena, Pitipana and Duwa, finishing at the Negombo Beach Park.
|Edition||Year||Men's Winner||Time (h:m:s)||Women's Winner||Time (h:m:s)|
|1st||1998||Sarath Gamage (SRI)||2:22:22||Malika Chandrakanthi (SRI)||3:01:31|
|2nd||1999||Sarath Amila (SRI)||2:32:22||Sujeewa Jayasena (SRI)||3:13:13|
|—||1999||Did not held|
|3rd||2001||Anuradha Cooray (SRI)||2:19:51|
|4th||2002||Ajith Bandara (SRI)||2:22:26||Malika Chandrakanthi (SRI)||3:09:17|
|5th||2003||Sujeewa Chandrapala (SRI)||2:25:19||Kanchanamala Udagedara (SRI)||3:05:22|
|6th||2004||Sujeewa Chandrapala (SRI)||2:28:23||Kanchanamala Udagedara (SRI)||3:12:57|
|—||2005||Did not held|
|7th||2006||Nimal Shantha (SRI)||2:30:26||Lakmini Bogahawatte (SRI)||2:59:27|
|8th||2007||Ajith Bandara (SRI)||2:26:37||Lakmini Bogahawatte (SRI)||3:25:43|
|9th||2008||Ajith Bandara (SRI)||2:25:25||Everline Kimwei (KEN)||3:00:39|
|—||2009||Did not held|
|10th||2010||Kennedy Kimutai (KEN)||2:22:14||Manjula Kumarasinghe (SRI)||3:10:01|
|11th||2011||Geoffrey Birgen (KEN)||2:28:08||Ruvina Mallawarachchige (SRI)||2:57:28|
|12th||2012||Geoffrey Birgen (KEN)||2:26:40||Ruvina Mallawarachchige (SRI)||2:55:47|
|13th||2013||Anthony Mugo (KEN)||2:21:01||Fridah Too (KEN)||2:48:11|
|14th||2014||Anthony Mugo (KEN)||2:18:33||Winfrida Kwamboka (KEN)||2:46:53|
|15th||2015||Anthony Mugo (KEN)||2:23:17||Lakmini Bogahawatte (SRI)||3:02:38|
|16th||2016||Joseph Gitau (KEN)||2:25:32||Margaret Wangui (KEN)||2:53:47|
|17th||2017||James Tallam (KEN)||2:23:37||Mercy Too (KEN)||2:59:46|
|18th||2018||James Tallam (KEN)||2:21:52||Margaret Wangui (KEN)||2:52:54|
- "Kenyans dominate LSR Colombo Marathon". The Daily News. 6 November 2015. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "Maldives' Zuley wins third in Colombo Marathon". Haveeru.com.mv. 4 October 2015. Archived from the original on 7 October 2015. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "Athletics: Kenyans take top places at 15th LSR Colombo Marathon". The Sunday Times. 6 October 2015. Archived from the original on 17 November 2015. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "30 countries in Colombo Marathon". Ceylon Today. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "AIMS – Calendar of Races". AIMS. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "Colombo Marathon". Distance Running. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "Colombo Marathon bursts its borders". Sunday Observer. 27 September 2015. Archived from the original on 17 November 2015. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "More Than 7,500 Competitors for Colombo Marathon". Real Radio (Sri Lanka). 19 September 2014. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "Welcome to Colombo Marathon – Colombo Marathon History". Srilankamarathon.org. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "The LSR Colombo Marathon: An Yearly Run". Serendib. Sri Lankan Airlines. 4 October 2015. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "Welcome to Colombo Marathon – Our Sponsors". Srilankamarathon.org. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "Colombo Marathon would fetch US $10,000 each". The Sunday Times. 14 September 2014. Retrieved 11 November 2015.
- "13th Colombo Marathon". Embassy of Sri Lanka (Nepal). Retrieved 11 November 2015.