Colin Beattie (born 17 October 1951) is the Scottish National Party (SNP) Member of the Scottish Parliament (MSP) for the Midlothian North and Musselburgh constituency since 2011. Prior to this role, he was a councillor and group leader of the SNP on Midlothian Council.
|Member of the Scottish Parliament|
for Midlothian North and Musselburgh
|Assumed office |
6 May 2011
|Born||17 October 1951|
|Political party||Scottish National Party|
For 23 years, Beattie worked as an international banker across the Middle East and Asia. He then decided after a period of working in London that he would return to living in Scotland with his wife, Lisa.
Beattie took an early retirement in 2006 to focus on being elected to Midlothian Council. He was elected to represent Midlothian South in the 2007 Midlothian Council election and was SNP group leader on the Council.
Beattie won the newly created seat of Midlothian North and Musselburgh in the 2011 Scottish Parliament election with a majority of just under 3000 votes. He retained his seat in the 2016 Scottish Parliament election, with a majority of over 7,000 votes. He was also the SNP National Treasurer from 2004-2020; he was defeated in the 2020 SNP internal elections by Douglas Chapman.
- "Colin Beattie". Scottish National Party. 5 September 2018. Retrieved 28 March 2021.
- Reynolds, Rory (6 May 2011). "Beattie claims new seat with 'historic' win over Labour". Edinburgh Evening News. Retrieved 8 May 2011.
- "Colin Beattie MSP | Midlothian North & Musselburgh". Colin Beattie MSP | Midlothian North & Musselburgh. Retrieved 1 February 2021.
- "Scottish Council Elections 2007 Results and Statistics" (PDF). Retrieved 28 March 2021.
- "BBC News - Election 2011 - Scotland - Midlothian North & Musselburgh". BBC News. Retrieved 28 March 2021.
- "Midlothian North and Musselburgh - Scottish Parliament constituency - Election 2016 - BBC News". BBC News. Retrieved 28 March 2021.
- "HISTORY OF THE SNP | Aberdeen SNP". aberdeensnp.org. Retrieved 28 March 2021.
- Jackson, Luke (13 November 2020). "Colin Beattie chosen as SNP election candidate". Midlothian View. Retrieved 28 March 2021.
- Standards Commission Scotland NEWS RELEASE - 18 June 2013 - MIDLOTHIAN HEARING - Councillor Lisa Beattie of MIDLOTHIAN COUNCIL and Mr Colin Beattie MSP (a Former Councillor in MIDLOTHIAN) Archived 24 February 2015 at the Wayback Machine
- Swanson, Ian. "Property rebuke for married Midlothian politicians". www.scotsman.com. Retrieved 28 March 2021.
- Quinn, Kevin. "Midlothian North MSP self isolating after his wife is diagnosed with the coronavirus". www.midlothianadvertiser.co.uk. Retrieved 28 March 2021.
- Biography at Scottish Parliament website
|Party political offices|