Colchester Institute is a large provider of further and higher education based in the town of Colchester. The institute includes the Colchester School of Art, Faculty of Creative Arts, the Centre for Hospitality and Food Studies, and the Professional Training Centre. Colchester Institute provides courses for a wide variety of learners including 14 to 19 year olds, adults, businesses and employers. Undergraduate and Postgraduate Higher Education courses are validated by the University of Essex.
|University of Essex|
Colchester Institute has its roots in the North East Essex Technical College. It widened to include degree level programmes in Music (through accreditation by the University of London), Hospitality & Catering and Art. In 1992 it joined with a number of colleges and "Anglia Higher Education College" to enable the latter to acquire university status as Anglia Polytechnic University (now Anglia Ruskin University). The other colleges in the Higher Education aspects of the "consortium" included City College Norwich, and the Norwich School of Art and Design. The "consortium" was dissolved in 2006 under a ratification programme proposed by the Higher Education Funding Council (England), and from that time Colchester Institute Higher Education awards were accredited by the University of Essex.
The institute's buildings were completely refurbished in 2000 with internal demolition, structural repairs and reconfiguration of the existing 1950's buildings, providing 4,000m2 of new internal floor space for workshops, laboratories, classrooms and a library in which to study. In 2003, a new Construction Craft Centre opened, to provide specialist facilities for Plumbing and Electrical Installations.
Colchester, Sheepen Road Campus
The Colchester Campus is situated just outside Colchester's old Roman walls; the town centre and the railway station are within walking distance.
The Engineering Training Centre at Colchester
Located in Stanway, this specialist engineering facility uses the very latest in engineering technology.
The College at Braintree, Church Lane Campus
Colchester Institute's newest campus (following the merger with Braintree College) offers students a range of vocational qualifications to meet the needs of employers in the Braintree and surrounding areas.
The College at Braintree, Cooper Drive Campus
The second campus in Braintree is located on the Springwood Industrial Estate on the outskirts of the town. Courses run here are Painting, Decorating and Bricklaying.
The College at Clacton, Church Road Campus
The campus was completely refurbished in 2000 with refurbishment of the reception foyer, new plumbing workshop, teaching spaces, new laboratory, accessible WC's, shower and changing facilities, extensive reconfiguration of student union defined spaces, shop, office quiet study, enterprise, entertainment, gaming and cyber zones.
This campus became part of the Colchester Institute family in 2008 and houses postgraduate Art and Design students. The facility is a working art gallery and café.
The Learning Shop at Colchester
Located on the Colchester Institute Sheepen Road Campus, this centre offers courses specialising in English, IT and maths, under the provision of learndirect. The Learning Centre is part of the Colchester Learning Shop which is an information point to members of the public seeking general information and advice on courses, careers and other academic issues.
The Learning Shops at Braintree, Clacton, Dovercourt and Witham
The online courses offered in maths, English and IT are designed to meet the needs of the individual. Members of the public can also receive general information and advice on careers, courses and other academic issues.
Colchester Institute has many faculties covering a variety of subject areas including:
- Business, Accounting and Administration
- Computing and IT
- Education Studies and Teacher Training
- Engineering and Automotive industries including Welding and Fabrication
- Fine Art, Design, Fashion, Photography and Graphics
- Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy
- Healthcare including Counselling, Dental Nursing and Science
- Hospitality and Food Studies
- Interactive Media, Digital Film Production
- Music and Performing Arts
- Sport, Public Services, Travel and Tourism
Colchester Institute has around 8,000 students and runs approximately 120 full-time courses.
- "Colchester Institute". saundersboston.co.uk. 2020.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-07-20. Retrieved 2010-03-07.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Colchester Institute - vocational courses/HNC/engineering electronics". educationindex.co.uk. 2020.
- "Adults - English/Maths". colchester.ac.uk. 2020.
- "Colchester AC - About us". colchester.ac.uk. 2020.
- "Interview with Patricia Allison". theitalianreve.com. 2019.
- "See former Essex student in this Netflix hit -Patricia Allison". eadt.co.uk. 2019.
- "Colin Baldy". Retrieved 18 October 2019.
- "Sade's First Album in 10 Years". The Daily Gazette. 20 January 2010. Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- "Colchester Institute". The Independent. 12 August 2013.