Coenraad Victor Oosthuizen (born 22 March 1989), nicknamed 'Coenie' or 'Shrek', is a professional rugby union player for Sale Sharks in the English Premiership. He previously represented the Free State Cheetahs and Sharks in the Currie Cup, the Cheetahs and Sharks in Super Rugby and also was chosen for the Springboks squad in 2010, 2011 and 2012, making his test debut in the first test against England in Durban in 2012.
|Full name||Coenrad Victor Oosthuizen|
|Date of birth||22 March 1989|
|Place of birth||Potchefstroom, South Africa|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||127 kg (280 lb; 20 st 0 lb)|
|School||Grey College, Bloemfontein|
|University||University of the Free State|
|Rugby union career|
He went to Laerskool Gustav Preller in Roodepoort for his primary education and attended Grey College in Bloemfontein.
He plays in the loose-head prop position, although he can play both sides of the scrum. He boasts surprising pace for a man of his colossal weight (127 kg). He ended the 2010 Currie Cup season as the Cheetahs top try scorer. Oosthuizen is known for his strong runs and work rate around the pitch but has often struggled in the scrum against the more technical scrummagers.
In 2010 Coenie scored a hat trick of tries for the Free State Cheetahs in a Currie Cup game against the neighbouring Griquas team. It is after a stand-out season for the Cheetahs during the 2010 Currie Cup domestic rugby season that Coenie was selected as part of the Springbok squad for the November 2010 tour of Europe.
South Africa 'A'Edit
In 2016, Oosthuizen was included in a South Africa 'A' squad that played a two-match series against a touring England Saxons team. He came on as a replacement in their first match in Bloemfontein, but ended on the losing side as the visitors ran out 32–24 winners. He also played off the bench in the second match of the series, a 26–29 defeat to the Saxons in George.
Coenie Oosthuizen is/was involved in the following squads:
- Free State (U16 Coca-Cola Grant Khomo Week)
- Golden Lions (U/13 Coca-Cola Craven Week)
- http://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/rugby/article1067479.ece/30-Seconds-with-Cheetahs-prop-Coenie-Oosthuizen TimesLive: 30 Seconds with Cheetahs prop Coenie Oosthuizen
- "SA Rugby Player Profile – Coenie Oosthuizen". South African Rugby Union. Retrieved 30 May 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 22 March 2012. Retrieved 25 August 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) Bettor: Coenie Oosthuizen's criticisim of referee during scrums
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 25 August 2011. Retrieved 25 August 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) Player Watch: Oosthuizen
- http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super15/Coenie-Scrumming-comes-first-20110504 Sport24: Coenie – Scrummaging comes first
- "Cell C Sharks sign Coenie Oosthuizen" (Press release). Sharks. 26 June 2015. Archived from the original on 26 June 2015. Retrieved 26 June 2015.
- "Springbok International Prop Joins Sale Sharks" (Press release). Sale Sharks. 13 May 2019. Retrieved 9 July 2019.
- "Ackermann to coach SA 'A' against Saxons". South African Rugby Union. 28 May 2016. Archived from the original on 31 May 2016. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "Youth and experience for SA 'A' opener against Saxons". South African Rugby Union. 8 June 2016. Archived from the original on 10 June 2016. Retrieved 10 June 2016.
- "SA Rugby Match Centre – South Africa "A" 24-32 England Saxons". South African Rugby Union. 10 June 2016. Retrieved 10 June 2016.
- "SA Rugby Match Centre – South Africa "A" 26-29 England Saxons". South African Rugby Union. 17 June 2016. Retrieved 19 June 2016.