Clyde A. Hutchison Jr.
Dr. Clyde Allen Hutchison Jr. (May 5, 1913 – August 29, 2005) was an American chemist notable for his research in magnetic resonance spectroscopy.  Hutchison was a member of the National Academy of Sciences and a chairman and professor of the department of chemistry at the University of Chicago. He was also a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, a fellow of the American Physical Society, a member of the American Chemical Society,Guggenheim fellow at Oxford University, the George Eastman Professor at Oxford University, and a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. He was also a recipient of the Peter Debye Award in Physical Chemistry from the American Chemical Society. He served as editor of the Journal of Chemical Physics from 1953 - 1955 and again from 1958 - 1959. Hutchison participated in the Manhattan Project. The University of Chicago said that Hutchison "pioneered research in magnetic resonance spectroscopy".
- 1913: born May 5 in Alliance, Ohio.
- 1933: a bachelor's degree from Cedarville College
- 1937: Ph.D. from Ohio State University
- 1937–1939: a National Research Council Fellow and worked with Nobel laureate Harold Urey at Columbia University
- 1939: an assistant professor of chemistry at the University of Buffalo
- 1940–1945: member of the Manhattan Project at Columbia University and the University of Virginia
- 1945–1983: member of the faculty of the University of Chicago's Department of Chemistry
- chairman of the department of chemistry 1959-1963
- elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 1963
- 1983: retirement
- 2005: died of prostate cancer on Aug. 29 at Montgomery Place Retirement Community in Chicago at age 92
- Chicago Tribune:Clyde A. Hutchison;Chemist was pioneer in field;University of Chicago professor worked on the Manhattan Project;September 12, 2005|By Lolly Bowean, Tribune staff reporter
- National Academy of Sciences:National Academies Press:Biographical Memoirs: V. 91 (2009);CLYDE ALLEN HUTCHISON JR.;BY DONALD S. MCCLURE AND JACOB BIGELEISEN
- University of Chicago;News Office;Clyde Allen Hutchison Jr., Chemist, 1913-2005
- University of Chicago Library Guide to the Clyde A. Hutchison Jr. Papers 1913-2000
- New York Times:SCIENCE ACADEMY BACKS ENGINEERS; Supports Plan to Establish Co-Equal Organization;;By WALTER SULLIVAN;April 24, 1963,Page 14
- J. Chem. Phys. list of Editors