Clayton, Dubilier & Rice
Clayton, Dubilier & Rice is an American private equity company, it is one of the oldest private equity investment firms in the world. Founded in 1978, CD&R has managed the investment of approximately $17 billion in 52 businesses—mostly subsidiaries or divisions of large multi-business corporations—representing a broad range of industries with an aggregate transaction value in excess of $80 billion. Approximately sixty percent of CD&R's transactions have involved corporate divestitures.
|Private Equity Investment Firm|
New York City, New York, U.S.
CD&R has ownership stakes in Emergency Medical Services Corporation, The Hertz Corporation, Rexel (a distributor of electrical parts and equipment) and US Foods (a broadline foodservice distributor), amongst other companies. CD&R formerly owned or had ownership in such companies as Sally Beauty, Diversey, Inc., VWR International, Brake Bros, Kinko's (now FedEx Office, previously FedEx Kinko's), Uniroyal Goodrich Tire Company and Lexmark.
Timeline of Clayton, Dubilier, and Rice transactionsEdit
- 1991 Acquired Lexmark
- Sold Lexmark
- Sold Van Kampen Merritt
- 1998 - 1999
- Invested in Italtel
- Sold part of Remington Arms
- Sold most of SIRVA in public equity offering.
- Acquired 47.5% equity interest in Sally Beauty Company, Alberto-Culver’s beauty supply distribution business, as part of a broader recapitalization of Alberto-Culver, which included the tax free spin off of the company’s consumer business to shareholders and the listing of Sally Beauty Holdings on the New York Stock Exchange. Jim Berges, a CD&R operating partner, became chairman of Sally Beauty.
- Acquired US Foods
- Brake Bros sold to Bain Capital for £1.4bn
- VWR International sold to Madison Dearborn for $3.8bn
- Acquired ServiceMaster
- Acquired HD Supply, along with Carlyle Group and Bain Capital (with each agreeing to buy a one-third stake in the division). Home Depot sold their wholesale construction supply business to fund a stock repurchase estimated at $40 billion.
- October 17 acquired Exova
- October acquired NCI Building Systems
- November acquired Diversey, Inc.
- February acquired British Car Auctions, Europe’s No. 1 Vehicle Auction and Remarketing Company
- October acquired AssuraMed, a provider of specialty medical products for chronic disease patients
- November acquired Univar, a global distributor of commodity and specialty chemicals
- December acquired Atkore International, formerly Tyco International’s Electrical and Metal Products business
- May acquired Emergency Medical Services Corporation, leader in facility-based physician services and medical transportation services
- August acquired SPIE, a European leader in electrical and mechanical engineering and HVAC services, energy and communication systems
- September acquired Hussmann, a leading manufacturer of refrigerated display merchandising equipment and refrigeration systems
- September acquired Roofing Supply Group, one of the largest wholesale distributors of roofing supplies and related materials in the United States
- October acquired David's Bridal, the leading specialty retailer of bridal gown and wedding-related apparel and accessories in the United States.
- October acquired Wilsonart
- March acquired B & M Retail
- Sold Assuramed to Cardinal Health; Over the course of ownership, EBITDA increased by approximately 88%.
- October acquired 60% interest in John Deere Landscapes (now SiteOne Landscape Supply) – purchased Lesco in 2007.
- Completed its exit from the Hertz investment in 2013.
- a/o December 2018
- Chairman & CEO—Donald J. Gogel
- Vice Chairman—Kevin J. Conway
- Partner—David A. Novak
- Partner—Richard J. Schnall
- Partner—Nathan K. Sleeper
- Partner—David H. Wasserman
- Uniroyal Goodrich Tire Co reports earnings for Qtr to Sept 30, New York Times Archive, Published: October 14, 1988
- Company News; Goodrich Outlook, REUTERS, New York Times Archive, Published: June 24, 1988
- INSIDE, New York Times, Published: September 23, 1989
- "Press Release" (PDF).
- "Deere to Sell Majority Interest in Landscapes Business". 28 October 2013. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- "John Deere Landscapes Unveils New Name as SiteOne Landscape Supply". 14 August 2015. Retrieved 13 October 2016.
- "Hertz". Retrieved June 11, 2018.
- Herman, Bob (7 July 2014). "Private equity firm buys Healogics for $910m". Modern Healthcare.
- "Clayton Dubilier & Rice Makes $415 Million Investment in Personal-Care Products". Wall Street Journal.
- crunchbase.com – Core & Main
- wateronline.com – HD Supply Waterworks Changes Name To Core & Main
- bloomberg.com – Trading Companies and Distributor: Company Overview of HD Supply Waterworks Group and HD Supply Waterworks and Certain Other Waterworks Business Assets
- "Ply Gem Holdings, Inc. Enters into a Definitive Agreement to be Acquired by Clayton, Dubilier & Rice". Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- Rice, Clayton, Dubilier. "Clayton, Dubilier & Rice to Acquire Majority Interest in American Greetings". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2018-02-13.
- "Orthodontics Startup SmileDirectClub Gets $3.2 Billion Valuation". Bloomberg.
- "P.S. Buyout Firm Takes Major Stake in U.K. Restaurant Operator Despite Brexit Uncertainty". Retrieved 16 January 2019.
- , CDR webpage. Retrieved 2018-12-12.