Claire McLean (born 4 July 1973) is an Australian Paralympic cyclist and paratriathlete. She represented Australia at the 2016 Rio Paralympics when paratriathlon made its debut at the Paralympics.
|Born||4 July 1973|
Cottesloe, Western Australia
She won a silver medal at the 2004 Athens Games in the Women's Bicycle Time Trial LC1-4/CP 3/4 event. She has since won several Paracycling World Championship and World Cup medals in the C5 classification.
As a TRI-4 (arm impaired) paratriathlete, she placed 3rd in her first International paratriathlon race, the 2012 ITU Paratriathlon World Championships. At the 2014 ITU World Triathlon Series Final in Edmonton, Canada, she finished seventh in the Women's PT4. In January 2015, McLean won the Oceania Paratriathlon Championships PT4 event at th Penrith, New South Wales. McLean finished eighth at the 2015 World Triathlon Series Women's P4 Final in Chicago.
McLean failed to be selected for the 2012 Summer Paralympics in London and decided to switch to the new triathlete sport. She did represent Australia at the 2016 Rio Paralympics when paratriathlon made its debut at the Paralympics.
McLean finished ninth in PT4 at the 2016 Rio Paralympics Games. In reflection on her performance throughout the Paralympics McLean says "Without that big goal I feel a little bit lost. I think everyone needs to have something to aim towards, to seek some sort of personal improvement, whether it’s physically, spiritually, psychologically or just being a good person on a day to day basis. It’s what keeps me going."
- Media guide : Athens 2004 (PDF). Sydney: Australian Paralympic Committee. 2004.[permanent dead link]
- "DEBUTANT PARATRIATHLETES PUT ICING ON THE RIO CAKE". Triathlon Australia website. Retrieved 3 August 2016.
- Western Australians Brant Garvey and Claire McLean named in seven-strong Australian Rio para-triathlon squad, 3 August 2016, PerthNow, Retrieved 12 September 2016
- "Claire McLean". Paralympic.org. International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- "Clare McLean". Cycling Australia. Archived from the original on 19 March 2013. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "2012 Barfoot&Thompson World Triathlon Grand Final Auckland : Paratriathlon Female TRI-4 : Results". International Triathlon Union. Retrieved 16 January 2013.
- "Results". 2014 ITU Grand Final Edmonton website. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- "Paratriathletes brave rain swept Neapean to Conquer Oceania Championships". Triathlon Australia News, 13 January 2013. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "2015 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final Chicago : Sep 18 2015 : Women's PT4 : Results". International Triathlon Union. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "Claire McLean". Rio Paralympics Official Site. Archived from the original on 22 September 2016. Retrieved 23 September 2016.
- "Claire McLean Faces her fear and now going for gold". Triathlon Australia. Triathlon Australia. Retrieved 18 September 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Claire McLean.|