Civil Order of Alfonso X, the Wise
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Civil Order of Alfonso X the Wise (Spanish: Orden Civil de Alfonso X el Sabio) is a Spanish civil order established in 1939, recognising activities in the fields of education, science, culture, higher education and research.
|Civil Order of Alfonso X, the Wise|
Orden Civil de Alfonso X el Sabio
Grand Cross Sash and Star of the Order
|Awarded by the Spanish Monarch|
|Royal house||House of Bourbon-Spain|
|Awarded for||Recognition of activities in the fields of education, science, culture, higher education and research.|
|Grand Master||King Felipe VI|
|Grand Chancellor||Isabel Celaá, Minister of Education|
Commander with Plaque
|Next (higher)||Order of Civil Merit|
|Next (lower)||Order of the Cross of St. Raymond of Peñafort|
| – |
The Ribbons of the Order
The order was created on 23 May 1902 by Royal decree as the Order of Alfonso XII. In 1988 the order was reformed and given its current name. The main innovation of the 1988 reform was to discontinue the previous award's practice of distinguishing male and female achievements, thereby eliminating explicit sexual discrimination.
The Civil order of Alfonso X, the Wise is divided into the following grades:
- Collar. Awarded to heads of state or government, heads of high state institutions, and heads of international organizations. This grade is awarded by Royal Decree with the proposal of the Minister of Education, the Order's Grand Chancellor. Holders of the collar are granted the honorific The Most Excellent. It is limited to six recipients.
- Grand Cross. Awarded for exceptional and evident degree of achievement in education, science, culture, teaching or research. This grade is awarded by Royal Decree with the proposal of the Minister of Education. Holders of the grand cross are granted the honorific The Most Excellent (Excelentísimo señor o señora). It is limited to 500 recipients.
- Commander with Plaque. This grade and the remaining grades are awarded based on the merits of the recipients in their field. Holders of the Commander with star are granted the honorific The Illustrious (Ilustrísimo señor o señora). It is limited to 750 recipients.
- Cross (formerly Knight's Cross 1939–1988).
- Lazo (1955–1988) Knight's Cross suspended from a bow for wear by female recipients.
- Medal (1939–1988).
Organizations and other legal entities may be honored with the following:
- Corbata. Awarded by royal decree, displayed on the flag of the organization. It is limited to 350 recipients.
- Placa de Honor.
|Collar||Grand Cross and
Commander with Plaque
- Civil Orders of Spain. Heraldaría. (in Spanish). Retrieved 2012-12-20.
- "Real Decreto 954/1988, de 2 de septiembre, por el que se regula la Orden Civil de Alfonso X el Sabio", Boletín Oficial del Estado (in Spanish), Agencia Estatal Boletín Oficial del Estado, 8 September 1988, retrieved 4 August 2019
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Order of Alfonso X, the Wise.|
- Prieto Barrio, Antonio. "ORDEN CIVIL DE ALFONSO X EL SABIO". Colecciones Militares (in Spanish). Retrieved 4 August 2019.
- "Celaá entrega las Placas de Honor de la Orden Civil Alfonso X el Sabio a seis centros educativos". 20 Minutos (in Spanish). Europa Press. 4 February 2019. Retrieved 4 August 2019.