Cision Ltd. is a leading global public relations and earned media software company and services provider. The company has its headquarters in Chicago, Illinois; it serves clients worldwide. The company went public via reverse merger in June 2017. In addition to its web-based PR and earned media software as a service (SaaS) suite the Cision Communications Cloud, the company owns online publicity and media services PRNewswire, PRWeb, Bulletin Intelligence, L'Argus de la presse, and Help a Reporter Out (HARO). The company operates in the United States, Europe and Asia.
|Traded as||NYSE: CISN|
|Headquarters||Chicago, United States|
|Kevin Akeroyd, CEO |
|Products||Marketing and public relations software & services|
|Services||Public Relations Services, PR Software, Marketing Resources, Media Contacts Database, Press Release Distribution|
Number of employees
Products and servicesEdit
Cision provides public relations services to businesses, using a cloud-based, or software as a service (SaaS) model. The company helps businesses maximize their PR efforts through social media monitoring and engagement and media publicity services.
Cision's software is distributed in seven languages. As of June 2014[update], it is used by more than 16,000 annual subscribers worldwide, including commercial businesses and governmental, educational and non-profit organizations.
The company offers three web-based packages: the "CisionMarketing Suite", the "Public Relations Suite" and a "Government Relations and Political Action Committee Suite". The Cision "Public Relations Suite" allows users to distribute press releases, access a database of bloggers and journalists, and monitor and analyze news and social media sites. The company's "Government Relations Suite" manages government contacts, analyzes lobbying activity, facilitates communication with elected officials and provides PAC compliance software for filing reports to the FEC and state elections commissions.
The platform for PR professionals is an organizational tool to help companies/universities implement an overall strategy and plan for their PR efforts. Once they have a plan in place, Cision's PR Edition enables them to measure its effectiveness by providing analytics behind their news, contacts, and releases.
Through a series of acquisitions, the company provides services in PRWeb, HARO, North Social and iContact, which Cision has continued to operate under the existing brand names. Vocus also offers consulting services to support the use of its software products.
PRWeb is an online press release service. Press releases published by PRWeb are distributed through news sites and appear in search engine results, allowing businesses to distribute news directly to the mass media and customers. PRWeb services are available through the "Vocus Marketing Suite," the "Vocus PR Suite" or as a separate service.
Help a Reporter Out (HARO) is an online service designed to help journalists locate and connect with sources for stories. Originally created as a Facebook group in 2008, HARO quickly outgrew the platform and now operates through its own website and daily newsletter. Help a Reporter Out services are available through the "Vocus Marketing Suite" or as a separate service.
History and acquisitionsEdit
On September 15, 2014, Cision announced the acquisition of Visible Technologies, the worldwide market leader in social media listening and analytics, insights and engagement.
On October 14, 2014, Cision AB and Vocus announced a friendly merger of the two public relations companies. Cision based in Sweden will relocate its headquarters to Chicago and so will Vocus from Maryland, United States. The company will be based out of Chicago and the combined entity will be known as Cision.
During 2015, Cision also acquired leading UK company Gorkana. Gorkana offered monitoring, journalist database and world class analysis services.
On June 29, 2017, Cision went public via its reverse merger with special purpose acquisition company Capitol Acquisition Corporation III.
- Brad Kelly (16 September 2008). "VOCUS INC. Lanham, Maryland PR Software Helps Companies Polish Their Image With Efficiency". Investor's Business Daily. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- Gus G. Sentementes (13 October 2012). "Vocus tackles digital marketing, hires hundreds". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- Susan Payton (8 July 2012). "Vocus: Small Businesses Shouldn't Have to Piecemeal Their Marketing". Small Business Trends. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- Tanya Lewis (30 April 2012). "Vocus' PR suite info is user friendly and easy to export". PRWeek US. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- "Vocus Inc. Company Information". Hoovers.com. Hoover's Inc. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- "Vocus pays $28M in cash and stock for PRWeb". Washington Business Journal. 8 August 2006. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- Kate N. Nichols (September 2006). "Pioneering company takes its next step Ferndale's PRWeb sold to national company". Business Pulse Magazine. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "Vocus acquires Help A Reporter Out". Washington Business Journal. 10 June 2010. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- Barb Dybwad (10 June 2010). "Vocus Acquires HARO to Expand Journalist-Driven PR Service". Mashable. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- Eliot van Buskirk (14 September 2009). "'Help a Reporter Out' Crowdsources News Sources". Wired. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "Cision and Vocus Announce Acquisition of Visible Technologies". Cision. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Cision and Vocus Unite, Ushering in the Future of PR and Social Software | Cision". www.cision.com. Retrieved 2015-05-04.
- "» Cision to Retire Vocus Name". www.capitolcommunicator.com. Retrieved 2015-05-04.
- "» Chicago-based Cision to buy PR Newswire for $841 million". www.chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 2016-01-06.
- Cision company website