This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
D&B Hoovers was founded by Gary Hoover and Patrick Spain in 1990 as an American business research company that provides information on companies and industries through their primary product platform named "Hoover's". In 2003, it was acquired by Dun & Bradstreet and operated for a time as a wholly owned subsidiary. In 2017, the Hoover's product was re-branded D&B Hoovers.
|Information and technology services|
|Headquarters||Austin, Texas, USA|
|Gary Hoover, Co-Founder|
Patrick Spain, Co-Founder
Thomas Manning, Interim CEO
|Parent||Dun & Bradstreet|
Origins and expansionEdit
Hoover's was started in 1990 by Gary Hoover, Patrick J. Spain, Alan Chai and Alta Campbell. Earlier, Hoover had founded the Bookstop book store chain and then sold it to Barnes & Noble. Hoover's initially was called The Reference Press and published reference books about companies. (Books for libraries and related markets are still published, but book publishing is a small part of Dun & Bradstreet's sales.)
The company grew rapidly under a business team led by Spain that included Carl Shepherd, Lynn Atchison, Elisabeth DeMarse, Jani Spede, Kris Rao and Gordon Anderson, among others. Spain was CEO from 1993 to 2001 and chairman from 1994 to 2002.
Dun & Bradstreet maintains a database of more than 300 million companies with 30,000 global data sources updated 5 million times per day. It combines Dun & Bradstreet's data with Avention's sales acceleration platform. Subscriptions are sold primarily to sales, marketing, and business development professionals seeking contact information for prospects. The database is used for lead generation, outreach, prepping for sales calls, researching companies, being alerted to changes in leadership, and acquiring new customers.
Besides publishing information through the D&B Hoovers product, information is also distributed via data feeds and third-party licensing agreements.
D&B Hoovers offers proprietary business information through an online platform and integrated workflow solutions. The product houses data on more than 120 million business records across 1,000 industries.
- "Hoover's, Inc. Company Profile | D&B Hoovers". hoovers.com.
- Solomon, Steve. "The Dynamic Duo." Inc.. October 15, 1997. Retrieved on April 7, 2014.
- Anupreeta Das (July 31, 2012). "Dun & Bradstreet Explores Sale". The Wall Street Journal.
- Staff, A. O. L. "New D&B Hoovers Analytics™ Product Gives Small Businesses the Power to Uncover Prospects and Drive G". AOL.com. Retrieved 2017-08-16.
- See, e.g., Hoover's SEC filing 10-K, 31 March 2002
- Francisco, Bambi (2002-12-05). "D&B to buy Hoover's for $117 million". MarketWatch. Retrieved 2017-08-16.
- Hoover's SEC filing 424B4, 21 July 1999
- "AV, Marathon propose sweeter bid for Hoover's". www.bizjournals.com. 2003-02-07. Retrieved 2017-08-16.
- "Hoovers - Company Information - Industry Information - Lists". hoovers.com.
- "The Dun & Bradstreet Corporation - Annual Report". investor.dnb.com. Retrieved 2017-08-16.
- "Sales leads, Company Profiles, Business Database & Sales Acceleration Solutions". Retrieved 2017-08-16.
- Linkedin Sales Navigator