Christopher I. Beckwith
Beckwith, a MacArthur Fellow, is a researcher in the field of Central Eurasian studies. He researches the history and cultures of ancient and medieval Central Asia. Concomitantly he specializes in Asian language studies and linguistics, and in the history of Central Eurasia. He teaches Old Tibetan, Central Eurasian languages, and Central Eurasian history, researches especially the linguistics of Aramaic, Chinese, Japanese, Koguryo, Old Tibetan, Tokharian, Old Turkic, Uzbek, and other languages.
His best-known work is Greek Buddha: Pyrrho's Encounter with Early Buddhism in Central Asia, which examines links between very early Buddhism and the philosophy of Pyrrho. The book is noted for its challenging and iconoclastic approach to multiple issues in the development of early Buddhism, Jainism and the Śramaṇa movement.
- Byington, Mark E. (2006). "Christopher I. Beckwith—Koguryo, the Language of Japan's Continental Relatives (Leiden: Brill, 2004)". Acta Koreana. 9 (1): 141–166. Archived from the original on 2017-11-08. Retrieved 2017-11-07.
- Hitch, Doug (2010). "Empires of the Silk Road: A History of Central Eurasia from the Bronze Age to the Present" (PDF). Journal of the American Oriental Society. 130 (4): 654–658. JSTOR 23044587. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-12-26. Retrieved 2015-01-02.
- Jones-Bley, Karlene; Huld, Martin E. (2010). "Empires of the Silk Road: A History of Central Eurasia from the Bronze Age to the Present" (PDF). Journal of Indo-European Studies. 38 (3&4): 431–443.
- Pellard, Thomas (2005). "Koguryo, the Language of Japan's Continental Relatives: An Introduction to the Historical-Comparative Study of the Japanese-Koguryoic Languages with a Preliminary Description of Archaic Northeastern Middle Chinese" (PDF). Korean Studies. University of Hawaii Press. 29: 167–170. doi:10.1353/ks.2006.0008.
- "Christopher Beckwith: Faculty: Department of Central Eurasian Studies". Indiana.edu. 2009-08-06. Retrieved 2012-09-19.
- MacArthur Foundation, "Christopher Beckwith, Philologist", 1986.
- "Christopher I. Beckwith". Hamilton Lugar School of Global and International Studies.
- Beckwith, C. I., Greek Buddha: Pyrrho's Encounter with Early Buddhism in Central Asia (Princeton and Oxford: Princeton University Press, 2015).