Chestnut Run Farm
Chestnut Run Farm is a winery in Pilesgrove Township in Salem County, New Jersey that produces Fuji apple and Asian pear wines. The apple and pear trees were first planted in 1986 as part of a specialty produce farm. Chestnut Run began sales of its wine in 2007, and opened a tasting room in 2012. Chestnut Run has 5 acres of fruit trees under cultivation, and produces 700 cases of wine per year. The winery is named for the Chestnut Run, a stream that borders the farm.
|Chestnut Run Farm|
|Location||66 Stewart Road, Pilesgrove, New Jersey, USA|
|Coordinates||39.653891 N, 75.291987 W|
|Appellation||Outer Coastal Plain AVA|
|First vines planted||1986 (trees planted)|
|Opened to the public||2007|
|Key people||Bob & Lise Clark (owners)|
|Distribution||On-site, wine festivals, NJ liquor stores, home shipment|
|Tasting||Tastings by appointment|
Chestnut Run Farm is in the Outer Coastal Plain AVA, and produces wine from Fuji apples and eight types of Asian pears, including Hosui, Yoinashi, and Shinko. It is the only winery in New Jersey that produces wine from Asian pears, which are a fruit indigenous to China, Japan, and Korea.
Advocacy, licensing, and associationsEdit
Chestnut Run is an advocate of the direct shipping of wine from wineries to customers. Chestnut Run has a farm winery license from the New Jersey Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control, which allows it to produce up to 50,000 gallons of wine per year, operate up to 15 off-premises sales rooms, and ship up to 12 cases per year to consumers in-state or out-of-state. The winery is a member of the Garden State Wine Growers Association and the Outer Coastal Plain Vineyard Association.
- Giordano, Rita. "Raising a glass to New Jersey wines" in The Philadelphia Inquirer (10 September 2013). Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- Capuzzo, Jill P. "Ready For Prime Time?" in New Jersey Monthly (13 February 2012). Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- Westrich, Sal. New Jersey Wine: A Remarkable History. (Charleston, SC: The History Press, 2012). ISBN 9781609491833.
- Rignani, Jennifer Papale. Images of America: New Jersey Wineries. (Charleston, SC: Arcadia, 2008). ISBN 9780738557229.
- Chestnut Run Farm. "About Chestnut Run Farm" (commercial website). Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- Howard-Fusco, Lisa. "Something to Wine About" Archived October 20, 2013, at the Wayback Machine on Eating in South Jersey (blog) (7 March 2010). Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- Salem County Agriculture Development Board. "Recommendation of a Site Specific Agricultural Management Practice" Archived October 20, 2013, at the Wayback Machine (23 May 2012). Retrieved 14 June 2013. Chestnut Run Farm received permission in 2012 to build a small tasting room on preserved farmland.
- Jackson, Bart. Garden State Wineries Guide. (South San Francisco, CA: Wine Appreciation Guild, 2011). ISBN 9781934259573.
- Bing Maps. "66 Stewart Rd, Woodstown, NJ 08098" (mapping website). Retrieved 27 May 2013. The map shows the Chestnut Run crossing Stewart Road in Pilesgrove (Woodstown zip code), and being adjacent to 66 Stewart Road, which is where the winery is located.
- Chestnut Run Farm. "Chestnut Run Farm: Our Wines!" (commercial website). Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- Griggs, William H. and Ben T. Iwakiri. "Asian Pears in California." Archived 2013-09-21 at the Wayback Machine California Agriculture Volume 31, Number 1 (1977). 8-12.
- Nicholls, Walter. "The Surprise Inside An Asian Pear" in The Washington Post (15 September 2004). Retrieved 19 September 2013. A review of the wines made by New Jersey's 46 wineries found no other establishment using Asian pears.
- Megerian, Chris. "Fate of school vouchers, N.J. wineries uncertain after bills died quietly behind the scenes" in The Star-Ledger (5 July 2011). Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- Gregory, Phil. "NJ Wineries Urge Legislature To Approve Bill Allowing Them To Sell Directly To Consumers" Archived 2015-06-10 at the Wayback Machine on WBGO 88.3 FM Radio (27 June 2011). Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- New Jersey Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control. "New Jersey ABC list of wineries, breweries, and distilleries" (5 February 2013). Retrieved 20 August 2013.
- New Jersey General Assembly. "N.J.S.A. 33:1-10". Statutes of New Jersey. New Jersey.
- Garden State Wine Growers Association. "GSWGA Wineries." Archived June 21, 2013, at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- Outer Coastal Plain Vineyard Association. "Outer Coastal Plain Wineries." Retrieved 1 April 2013.