|Born||29 September 1944|
|Years of service||1967–2000|
|Commands held||1st Bn Royal Green Jackets
3rd Infantry Brigade
|Awards||Companion of the Order of the Bath
Commander of the Order of the British Empire
Educated at Winchester College and Balliol College, Oxford, Vyvyan was commissioned into the Royal Green Jackets in 1967. After a two-year secondment to the Sultan of Oman's Land Forces in the mid-1970s, he became commanding officer of 1st Battalion Royal Green Jackets in 1984, Commander 3rd Infantry Brigade in 1988 and Deputy Chief of Staff at Headquarters UK Land Forces in 1994. He went on to be Head of the British Defence Staff and Defence Attaché in Washington, D.C. in 1997 before retiring in 2000.
- Who's Who 2010, A & C Black, 2010, ISBN 978-1-4081-1414-8
- "Ministry of Defence and Senior Tri-Service Appointments" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 November 2015. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "No. 58010". The London Gazette. 13 June 2006. p. 8073.
- "Major General Charles G C Vyvyan CB, CBE, MA, MSc". History. The Royal Green Jackets Regimental Association. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- "Court circular". The Times. 14 June 2006. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
|Head of the British Defence Staff in Washington, D.C.
Rear Admiral Iain Henderson
|Gentleman Usher of the Scarlet Rod
2006 to present