Charles Petty-Fitzmaurice, 9th Marquess of Lansdowne
The Marquess of Lansdowne
|Member of Wiltshire County Council|
Charles Maurice Petty-Fitzmaurice
21 February 1941
Lady Frances Helen Mary Eliot
(m. 1965; div. 1987)
Fiona Mary Merritt
(m. after 1987)
|Parents||George Petty-Fitzmaurice, 8th Marquess of Lansdowne|
|Branch/service||Royal Yeomanry, Royal Armoured Corps|
He is also Earl of Kerry in the peerage of Ireland (1722); Earl of Shelburne and Earl of Wycombe in the peerage of Great Britain (1753 and 1784); Viscount Clanmaurice, Viscount Fitzmaurice (1751), and Viscount Calne and Calston; the 30th Baron of Kerry and Lixnaw in the peerage of Ireland (1181); Baron Dunkeron, and Baron Wycombe.
Lansdowne is the elder son of George Petty-Fitzmaurice, 8th Marquess of Lansdowne, a Conservative politician and landowner, by his marriage to Barbara, daughter of Harold Stuart Chase, of Santa Barbara, California. His father inherited the peerage titles (and the Bowood House estates in Wiltshire) from a cousin, the 7th Marquess of Lansdowne, who was killed in action in 1944, when the present Marquess became known as the Earl of Shelburne, a courtesy title. He was educated at Eton College and was Page of Honour to Queen Elizabeth II in 1956–1957.
Lord Shelburne (as he then was) served in the Kenya Regiment from 1960 to 1961. In 1962 he was gazetted a Second Lieutenant in the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry and in 1971 transferred with the rank of Lieutenant to the Royal Yeomanry attached to the Royal Armoured Corps.
He was a member of Calne and Chippenham Rural District Council from 1964 to 1973, President of the Wiltshire Playing Fields Association from 1965 to 1974, a member of Wiltshire County Council from 1970 to 1985, and a councillor of North Wiltshire District Council from 1973 to 1976. He was chairman of Calne and Chippenham Rural District Council from 1970 to 1973 and of North Wiltshire District Council from 1973 to 1976. Shelburne also served as a member of the South West Economic Planning Council from 1972 to 1977 and chaired its Population Settlement Pattern Working Committee during the same period. He was a member of the Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission (English Heritage) from 1983 to 1989; Deputy President of the Historic Houses Association from 1986 to 1988 and President from 1988 to 1993; President of South West Tourism from 1989-2006; President of the Wiltshire Association of Boys Clubs and Youth Clubs from 1976 to 2003; and President of the North Wiltshire Conservative Association from 1986 to 1989.
In 1990, he was appointed a Deputy Lieutenant of Wiltshire, and served as the Vice Lord Lieutenant of Wiltshire from 2012 to 2016. He has served as President of the Wiltshire Historic Buildings Trust since 1994 and of the Wilts & Berks Canal Partnership since 2001.
On 9 October 1965, he married, firstly, Lady Frances Helen Mary Eliot (6 March 1943 – 6 January 2004), daughter of Nicholas Eliot, 9th Earl of St Germans, but they were divorced in 1987, having had four children:
- Lady Arabella Helen Mary Petty-Fitzmaurice, now Lady Arabella Haldane Unwin (b. 30 August 1966), married Rupert William Haldane Unwin, and has issue, three children:
- Abrahm Arthur George Haldane Unwin (b. 15 November 1996)
- Gala Ellen Theadora Haldane Unwin (b. 11 August 1998)
- Evie May Hermione Haldane Unwin (b. 25 January 2001)
- Lady Rachel Barbara Violet Petty-Fitzmaurice (b. 30 January 1968), married James Spickernell and has issue, four children:
- Benjamin Thomas Richard Spickernell (b. 15 September 1994)
- Frederick Charles William Spickernell (b. 16 October 1996)
- Olivia Spickernell (b. 4 March 1999)
- Jemima Spickernell (b. 3 May 2001)
- Simon Petty-FitzMaurice, Earl of Kerry (b. 24 November 1970), married Nadine Mentior in January 2016, and has issue:
- George Henry Charles Petty-Fitzmaurice, Viscount Calne and Calstone (b. 3 February 2020)
- Lord William Nicholas Charles Petty-Fitzmaurice (b. 25 September 1973) married (engaged 29 April 2003, married 2004) Rebecca Sansum (b. 1982), of Chippenham, Wiltshire. They have three daughters:
- Zara Frances Elaine Petty-Fitzmaurice, (b. 1 November 2006)
- Isla Mary Rose Petty-Fitzmaurice (b. 30 August 2008)
- Alexandra Jane Caroline Petty-Fitzmaurice (Lexie) (b. 20 November 2013)
The heir apparent to the title is Simon, Earl of Kerry (b. 1970), elder son of the Marquess.
- 'Lansdowne, 9th Marquess of' in Who's Who 2014 (London: A. & C. Black, 2014)
- 'LANSDOWNE, 8th Marquess of, George John Charles Mercer Nairne Petty-Fitzmaurice' in Who's Who 1999 (London: A. and C. Black, 1999)
- The London Gazette, Issue 40733 of 16 March 1956, page 1583 online
- London Gazette, Issue 42793 of 25 September 1962, page 7579 online
- London Gazette, Issue 45917 of 26 February 1973 (Supplement), page 2677 online
- Charles Maurice Mercer Nairne Petty-FitzMaurice, later Petty-FitzMaurice, 9th Marquess of Lansdowne Archived 3 July 2010 at the Wayback Machine at cracroftspeerage.co.uk, accessed 21 May 2010
- London Gazette, Issue 52202 of 4 July 1990, page 11412 online
- Colin Johns, Wiltshire Historic Buildings Trust 1967–2007 (2007) online, Appendix 1
- London Gazette, Issue 56430 of 31 December 2001 (Supplement No. 1), page S3 online
- Charles Mosely, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 2003
- Simon Kerry. "Birth announcement: Petty-Fitzmaurice". telegraph.co.uk.
- Paul Theroff. "News of Other James I Descendants, 2003" in "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 6 September 2007. Retrieved 2007-09-27. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link). Retrieved 27 September 2007
- Anon. "Lansdowne Family Tree" from Bowood House website. . Retrieved 27 September 2007.
- Isla Mary Rose Petty-Fitzmaurice 7 September 2008. Retrieved 2 November 2008
- Jill Shearer. "The English Look" (PDF). wiltshire.grteatbritishlife.co.uk.[permanent dead link]
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Charles Petty-FitzMaurice, 9th Marquess of Lansdowne
Hon. Simon Scott
| Page of Honour
|Peerage of Great Britain|
| Marquess of Lansdowne
|Orders of precedence in the United Kingdom|
The Marquess of Lothian
|Order of Precedence of the United Kingdom||Followed by|
The Marquess Townshend