Charles C. Stevenson
Charles C. Stevenson
|5th Governor of Nevada|
January 3, 1887 – September 21, 1890
|Lieutenant||Henry C. Davis|
Samuel W. Chubbuck
|Preceded by||Jewett W. Adams|
|Succeeded by||Frank Bell|
|Member of the Nevada Senate|
|Born||February 20, 1826|
Phelps, New York, U.S.
|Died||September 21, 1890 (aged 64)|
Carson City, Nevada, U.S.
|Resting place||Mountain View Cemetery (Oakland, California)|
Stevenson was born on February 20, 1826 in Phelps, New York. His education was from the common schools of Canada and Michigan. He married Margaret M. Rogers in November 1848 and they had two sons, Edward and Lou. They were divorced in 1880 in Virginia City, Storey County, Nevada. He then married Ellen Mary Frary on June 20, 1881 in San Francisco, San Francisco County, California.
Stevenson was elected to Nevada Senate representing Storey County, serving three terms. He was a delegate to the Republican National Convention in 1872 and 1884. Elected Regent of the University of Nevada, he served in that position for 11 years from 1875 to 1887.
Stevenson was elected Governor in 1886, and served to 1890. During his tenure, programs were established which supported livestock and farming industries, the Stewart Indian School was created, and the University of Nevada was reconstructed. His brother, Edward A. Stevenson, was Governor of Idaho at the same time.
Stevenson died of typhoid fever while in office on September 21, 1890 in Carson City, Nevada, at the age of 64. That made him the first Nevada Governor to die while in office. He is interred at Mountain View Cemetery.
- "Charles C. Stevenson". Ancestry.com. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- "Charles C. Stevenson". Lives of the Dead: Mountain View Cemetery in Oakland. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "Charles C. Stevenson". National Governors Association. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "Charles C. Stevenson". Lives of the Dead: Mountain View Cemetery in Okland. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "Nevada Governor Charles Clark Stevenson". National Governors Association. Retrieved September 26, 2012.
- Charles C. Stevenson at Find a Grave
- Charles Clark Stevenson at the National Governors Association
- Charles Clark Stevenson 1887–1890 at the Nevada State Library and Archives
- Nevada Governors' Biographical Information at the Nevada State Library and Archives
- Lives of the Dead: Mountain View Cemetery in Okland
- National Governors Association[permanent dead link]
Jewett W. Adams
| Governor of Nevada