|The Goodies episode|
|Episode no.||Series 2|
|Original air date||7 January 1972 |
(Friday — 10.10 p.m.)
This episode is also known as "London to Brighton".
Written by The Goodies, with songs and music by Bill Oddie.
The Goodies want to raise money for charity, by walking from London to Brighton. They approach Mr. Sparklipegs of Sparklipegs Toothpaste, to sponsor them. Mr. Sparklipegs is a miser and only agrees to sponsor them because of the publicity for his company. He convinces them to bounce on space hoppers, instead, wearing giant-size toothpaste tubes to advertise his toothpaste. The Goodies reach Brighton — and keep on bouncing.
The Goodies bounce around the world and the miserly Mr. Sparklipegs, thinking of the huge amount of money he will have to pay them for the miles they had covered, tries to back out from paying them. When Mr. Sparklipegs reluctantly relents and is about to pay the Goodies, he is delighted when it is pointed out to him, by his lackey Arthur Minion, that he actually owns the charity the Goodies wish to donate the money to, and that he will not have to spend any money after all. In dismay at bouncing all around the world for nothing, the Goodies take their space hoppers, jump out the window, and bounce up and down the side of the building.
- "The Complete Goodies" — Robert Ross, B T Batsford, London, 2000
- "The Goodies Rule OK" — Robert Ross, Carlton Books Ltd, Sydney, 2006
- "From Fringe to Flying Circus — 'Celebrating a Unique Generation of Comedy 1960-1980'" — Roger Wilmut, Eyre Methuen Ltd, 1980
- "The Goodies Episode Summaries" — Brett Allender
- "The Goodies — Fact File" — Matthew K. Sharp