Chardon High School
Chardon High School (commonly Chardon, Chardon High, or CHS), is a public high school in Chardon, Ohio, USA, serving students in grades 9-12. The school is part of the Chardon Local School District, with admission based primarily on the location of students' homes. As of the 2005-06 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,153 students and 60.2 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student-teacher ratio of 19.2.
|Chardon High School|
151 Chardon Avenue
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|Motto||A Legacy of Pride, a Future of Promise|
|School district||Chardon Local School District|
|Superintendent||Dr. Michael P. Hanlon, Ph.D.|
|Faculty||60.2 (on FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||19.2|
|Color(s)||Red and Black |
|Athletics conference||Western Reserve Conference|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Athletic Director||Doug Snyder|
|Website||Chardon High School Homepage|
On February 27, 2012, six students were shot in a shooting at the school, with the shooter identified as 17-year-old T.J. Lane. According to local news reports, the suspect chose the six victims at random, countering early reports that a group of students were targeted. Three of the shooting victims died. All Chardon local schools were immediately closed following the shooting, while the high school was put under a lock-down procedure. The entire school district was closed on Tuesday, February 28. The district board also canceled classes in all schools until Friday, with numerous counseling services available until then. On March 19, 2013, Lane was given three life sentences, one for each of the victims killed in the shooting.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State ChampionshipsEdit
- Boys Track and Field - Nick Elswick - 3200m - 2014
- Boys Track and Field - Emil Heineking - 3200m - 2007
- Boys Cross Country - Emil Heineking - 2006
- Boys Track and Field - Ben Robinson - 800m - 2004
- Boys Tennis - Stephen Rozek - 2002
- Boys Wrestling - Danny Anderson - 1997
- Boys Football - 1994
- Boys Wrestling - Hank Inderlied - 1985
- Boys Wrestling - Mike Davies - 1982, 1983
- Girls Cross Country - 1978, 1979
- Girls Track and Field - Juanita Vetter - One Mile Run - 1979
- Boys Wrestling - Mark Vetter - 1978
- Boys Wrestling - Leroy Kemp - 1973, 1974
- Boys Cross Country - 1972
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Archived from the original on 2010-11-04. Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- "Chardon High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 2008-11-05.
- "Chardon High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 20, 2019.
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on March 15, 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- "Chardon High School". Chardon High School. Archived from the original on 2008-08-22. Retrieved 2008-11-05.
- "Student shot at Ohio high school dies, police say". CNN. 2012-02-27.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.