Center for Global Dialogue and Cooperation
The Center for Global Dialogue and Cooperation (CGDC) is an Austrian international non-governmental organisation. The foundation's headquarters is in Vienna. Its founding members are the former President of Bulgaria, Petar Stoyanov, Bulgarian consultant Stamen Stantchev, former Austrian conservative politician Walter Schwimmer, former Austrian minister of defence Werner Fasslabend and Belgian businessman Etienne Declercq.
|Founder||Petar Stoyanov, Stamen Stantchev, Walter Schwimmer, Werner Fasslabend, Etienne Declercq|
|Petar Stoyanov (President)|
Stamen Stantchev (Secretary General)
Establishment and missionEdit
Members of the board of trustees are Abdul Latif Al Meer, Sukhbaatar Batbold, Hartmut Beyer, Wesley Kanne Clark, Natalia Corrales-Díez, Mário Henrique de Almeida Santos David, Jeff Greene, Mikhail Gutseriev, Karim Farouk Jalloul, Hemant Kanoria, Thomas Peter Limberger, José María Figueres Olsen, Gerry van der Sluys, Carmine S. Villani, Rick Yune.
CGDC organises an annual gala. In 2012 the organizers invited Bill Clinton to give a speech, for which he received 500,000 dollars. In 2013 Clinton was again invited but did not show up, amid speculation about a conviction against CGDC secretary general Stamen Stantchev by a Romanian court.
The President of the European Commission José Manuel Barroso did take part in the ceremony, where he received the Center for Global Dialogue and Cooperation’s Award for “Enhancing Mutual Understanding and Dialogue amongst Diverse People” at the closing event of the 3rd Center’s Annual Meeting.
In December 2013 a Romanian court sentenced CGDC secretary general Stamen Stantchev in absentia to 11 years in prison. Two former Romanian ministers were also convicted. The court ruled that the group had formed an international criminal organisation and stole state secrets. Austrian police has also started investigations involving shady privatisation deals in the Romanian energy sector. Stantchev was already imprisoned in 2006 in connection with similar accusations.
- "Official Website: "Contact Us"". Archived from the original on 2013-12-06. Retrieved 2013-12-06.
- "Official Website: "Founders"". Archived from the original on 2013-12-08. Retrieved 2013-12-06.
- "Official Website: Our Vision". Archived from the original on 2013-12-08. Retrieved 2013-12-06.
- Official Website: Board of Trustees Archived 2013-12-18 at the Wayback Machine
- "Bill Clinton Charges Hundreds of Thousands For Each Speech". DaveManuel.com. 8 September 2012. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "Centre for Global Dialogue ohne Bill Clinton". KleineZeitung. 5 December 2013. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "President Barroso receives the 2013 CGDC Award from the hands of Bill Clinton". Delegation of the European Union to the United States. 5 December 2013. Archived from the original on 11 December 2013. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "Spionageurteil in Rumänien verhinderte Clinton-Rede in Wien". DerStandard. 5 December 2013. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "Bill Clintons dubioser Gastgeber in Wien". Kurier. 5 December 2013. Retrieved 6 December 2013.