|Comune di Casacalenda|
|• Mayor||Michele Antonio Giambarba|
|• Total||67.28 km2 (25.98 sq mi)|
|Elevation||670 m (2,200 ft)|
(30 November 2017)
|• Density||31/km2 (79/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
The Greek historian Polybius mentions a battle in 217 BC between the Roman army, based in Kalene, and Hannibal, based in Gerione (now a hamlet of Casacalenda). The name might have been derived from the Latin Kalendae or Kalends, the first day of the month in the Roman calendar.
Among its churches is Santa Maria Maggiore.
Since the end of World War II until the 1970s, the town's population declined considerably due to emigration. The places of choice for these emigrants were the Canadian cities of Hamilton, Montreal and Toronto. Montreal even has its own Casacalenda Association. Duncan, British Columbia also has a sizeable community per its population.
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-01-30. Retrieved 2009-01-24.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) , accessed 24 January 2009
- Ship manifest from the USS Canopic, 1912
|This article on a location in Molise is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|