Maureen Rippingale (27 May 1935 – 28 February 1974), known professionally as Carole Lesley, was a British actress who had a short but significant career as a "blonde bombshell".
|Died||28 February 1974 (aged 38)|
She starred in several films in the late 1950s and early 1960s, including the 1957 film Woman in a Dressing Gown, which won the 1958 Golden Globe Award for Best English-Language Foreign Film. She also appeared in No Trees in the Street, These Dangerous Years, Doctor in Love, Operation Bullshine and What a Whopper, and played Helen of Troy in a television play.
However, Associated decided to end her contract, which devastated her and she disappeared from the public eye. She subsequently lived in a semi-detached house overlooking New Barnet station in north London, but by 1973 was described as "a deeply depressed, once beautiful woman, still haunted by a glamorous past".
She was found dead by her husband Michael Dalling in their New Barnet home on 28 February 1974. At her inquest it was determined that she had died of a drug overdose and that she had "killed herself".
|1947||The Silver Darlings||Una (child)|
|1949||Trottie True||Clare (child)|
|1954||The Embezzler||Tea Shop Waitress|
|1956||Yakity Yak||TV series|
|1957||The Good Companions||Film Star|
|1957||Woman in a Dressing Gown||Hilda|
|1957||These Dangerous Years||Dinah Brown|
|1959||No Trees in the Street||Lova|
|1959||Operation Bullshine||Pvt. Marge White|
|1960||Doctor in Love||Kitten Strudwick|
|1960||ITV Play of the Week||Helen of Troy||Episode: "Tiger at the Gates"|
|1961||Three on a Spree||Susan|
|1961||What a Whopper||Charlotte 'Charlie' Pinner|
|1962||The Pot Carriers||Wendy|
- "Carole Lesley".
- "Who'd be a movie star? They are little more than pampered, tethered goats". 20 January 2012 – via The Guardian.
- "Woman in a Dressing Gown".
- "Carole Lesley - Movies and Filmography - AllMovie".
- "Carole Lesley and the Illusion of Glamour".
- "'Doctor in Love' actress found dead". Birmingham Daily Post (35970). 2 March 1974. p. 44. Retrieved 23 April 2020 – via British Newspaper Archive.
- "Tragedy of ex-film girl". Daily Mirror (21826). 22 March 1974. p. 13. Retrieved 23 April 2020 – via British Newspaper Archive.
- Carole Lesley on IMDb
- Deborah Orr article featuring photo of Carole Lesley
- Carole Lesley - 'The actress who never went to Hollywood' featuring several Pathe News clips
|This article about a British actor is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|