The Good Companions (1957 film)
The Good Companions is a 1957 British musical film directed by J. Lee Thompson and starring Eric Portman. It is based on the 1929 novel of the same name by J. B. Priestley and is a remake of the 1933 film version.
|The Good Companions|
|Directed by||J. Lee Thompson|
|Written by||J. L. Hodson|
T. J. Morrison
J. B. Priestley
|Produced by||Hamilton G. Inglis|
J. Lee Thompson
|Edited by||Gordon Pilkington|
|Music by||Laurie Johnson|
- Eric Portman as Jess Oakroyd
- Celia Johnson as Miss Trant
- Hugh Griffith as Morton Mitcham
- Janette Scott as Susie Dean
- John Fraser as Inigo Jollifant
- Joyce Grenfell as Lady Parlitt
- Bobby Howes as Jimmy Nunn
- Rachel Roberts as Elsie and Effie Longstaff
- John Salew as Mr. Joe
- Mona Washbourne as Mrs. Joe
- Shirley Anne Field as Redhead
- Carole Lesley as Film star
It was one of the pet projects of Robert Clark, head of ABPC. J Lee Thompson was Clark's favourite director.
- "The Good Companions". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved 31 January 2015.
- Hall, Mordaunt (2011). "New York Times: The Good Companions". Movies & TV Dept. The New York Times. Baseline & All Movie Guide. Archived from the original on 20 May 2011. Retrieved 25 July 2008.
- Harper, Sue; Porter, Vincent (2003). British Cinema of The 1950s The Decline of Deference. Oxford University Press USA. p. 84.
- Hill, William John (1985). CLASS, SEXUALITY AND THE*BRITISH CINEMA 1956-63 (PDF) (Thesis). University of York. p. 250.