Candace S. Kovacic-Fleischer
Candace Saari Kovacic-Fleischer is an American legal scholar who is a professor emerita at the Washington College of Law of American University. She has taught there since 1981 and specializes in: Sex-based Discrimination; Work, Family and Equality; and Contracts and Remedies.
Candace S. Kovacic-Fleischer
Candace Saari Kovacic
Washington, DC, U.S.
|Alma mater||Wellesley College (A.B.)|
Northeastern University Law School (J.D.)
|Known for||Expert on sex discrimination, gender equality and remedies|
|Spouse(s)||Walter H. Fleischer|
Kovacic-Fleischer grew up in Kensington, Maryland and attended Walter Johnson High School. She studied at Wellesley College, where she received an A.B. in Economics in 1969, and at Northeastern University School of Law, graduating with a J.D. in 1974. After law school, she clerked first for Judge James L. Oakes of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, and then Warren E. Burger, Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court from 1975 to 1976. She was the first woman to clerk for the Chief Justice. Following her clerkships, she practiced law in Washington, D.C. as an associate of both Cole and Groner and Wilmer, Cutler, and Pickering.
In 1981, she joined the faculty of Washington College of Law at American University, and in 1986 was named a full professor. In 1988, she was a Visiting Professor at the University of California, Los Angeles Law School. In 2016, she wrote a letter to the editor pointing out the sexist elements in a blog post on President Donald Trump's economic advisors. In May 2017, she signed a letter concerning hate crimes on campus.
She is co-author of a popular case book, Equitable Remedies, Restitution and Damages, now in its eighth edition.
- "Reunion and Alumni/ae Weekend". Northeastern University School of Law. October 23, 2009. Retrieved December 5, 2018.
- Ward, Artemus; Weiden, David L (2006). Sorcerers' Apprentices: 100 Years of Law Clerks at the United States Supreme Court. New York, NY: NYU Press. p. 90. ISBN 0814794041. Retrieved December 6, 2018.
- "Letter to the editor: The truth behind Trumponomics". Washington Post. August 12, 2016. Retrieved December 5, 2018.
- "Op-ed: American University faculty and staff sign solidarity statement in response to racist hate crime". The Eagle. May 11, 2017. Retrieved December 5, 2018.
- Kovacic-Fleischer, Candace (2000–2001). "Teaching Restitution". Brandeis L.J. 39: 657. Retrieved December 5, 2018. Hein paid subscription access.
- "Elected Member: Professor Candace Saari Kovacic-Fleischer". American Law Institute. Retrieved December 5, 2018.
- "Appearances by Walter H. Fleischer". Oyez.org. Retrieved December 5, 2018.
- "Class Award Recipients-Walter H. Fleischer, class of 1961". Yale University. Retrieved December 5, 2018.
- Kovacic-Fleischer, Candace S.; Love, Jean; Nelson, George (2010). Equitable Remedies, Restitution and Damages, Cases and Materials (American Casebook Series) (8th ed.). Eagen, MN: West Publishing. ISBN 978-0314194930. (5th ed., 1994; 6th ed., 2000; 7th ed., 2005).
- Kovacic-Fleischer, Candace (2017). "Food Stamps, Unjust Enrichment, and Minimum Wage". Law & Ineq. University of Minnesota Law School. 35: 1.
- Kovacic-Fleischer, Candace Saari (1999). "Litigating against Employment Penalties for Pregnancy, Breastfeeding and Childcare". Vill. L. Rev. 44 (3): 355.
- Kovacic-Fleischer, Candace (1997). "United States v. Virginia's New Gender Equal Protection Analysis with Ramifications for Pregnancy, Parenting, and Title VII". Vanderbilt Law Review. SSRN. 50: 845. SSRN 2353006.