California State Route 66
State Route 66 (SR 66) is a state highway in the U.S. state of California, running along the section of old U.S. Route 66 in California from La Verne east to San Bernardino, passing through Claremont, Upland, Rancho Cucamonga, Fontana and Rialto along Foothill Boulevard. In San Bernardino, it is the part of Fifth Street west of H Street (at the Interstate 215 interchange).
SR 66 highlighted in red
|Defined by Streets and Highways Code § 366|
|Maintained by Caltrans|
|Length:||32.321 mi (52.016 km)
Portions of SR 66 are not included in the length.[notes 1]
|Existed:||1974 (from US 66) – present|
|West end:||SR 210 in La Verne|
|I-15 in Rancho Cucamonga|
|East end:||I-215 in San Bernardino|
The route begins as Foothill Boulevard at the interchange with SR 210 in the city of La Verne. SR 66 heads southeast for a few miles before entering Pomona and turning due east. The highway continues into the city of Claremont, passing by Claremont Colleges, before crossing into Upland, San Bernardino County.
In Upland, SR 66 passes by Cable Airport to the south, continuing due east. The highway intersects SR 83 before entering Rancho Cucamonga, where state maintenance of SR 66 currently ends. Foothill Boulevard continues east through Rancho Cucamonga through an interchange with I-15 before entering Fontana, and passing well north of the California Speedway. Foothill Boulevard continues east into Rialto, where the SR 66 designation resumes. SR 66 continues east into San Bernardino, before curving to the north as 5th Street and terminating at I-215 south of downtown.
California's legislature has relinquished state control of the segment from the Pomona–Claremont line east to the Fontana–Rialto line, and turned it over to local control.
As a state route, SR 66 was added to the state highway system in the 1964 state highway renumbering, from SR 30 around San Dimas to San Bernardino. By 2013, the portion from east of Pomona to the eastern boundary of Rialto had been relinquished to the various cities that the route passed through.
Except where prefixed with a letter, postmiles were measured on the road as it was in 1964, based on the alignment that existed at the time, and do not necessarily reflect current mileage. R reflects a realignment in the route since then, M indicates a second realignment, L refers an overlap due to a correction or change, and T indicates postmiles classified as temporary (for a full list of prefixes, see the list of postmile definitions). Segments that remain unconstructed or have been relinquished to local control may be omitted. The numbers reset at county lines; the start and end postmiles in each county are given in the county column.
|La Verne||R0.19||Foothill Boulevard||Continuation beyond SR 210; former US 66 west|
|R0.19||SR 210 (Foothill Freeway) – Pasadena, San Bernardino||Interchange; west end of SR 66; SR 210 exit 47|
|1.73||Fruit Street, White Avenue|
|Pomona–Claremont line||3.22||To I-10 / Towne Avenue||East end of state maintenance.|
|Claremont||4.16||Indian Hill Boulevard|
|Upland||0.58||To I-10 / Central Avenue|
|2.78||SR 83 (Euclid Avenue) to I-10|
|Rancho Cucamonga||4.08||Grove Avenue|
|9.80||I-15 (Ontario Freeway) – San Diego, Barstow||Interchange; I-15 exit 112|
|West end of state maintenance|
|Rialto–San Bernardino line||20.14||Pepper Avenue|
|San Bernardino||22.41||Mount Vernon Avenue||Former US 66 east|
|23.05||I-215 (San Bernardino Freeway) – Riverside, Barstow||Interchange; east end of SR 66; former I-15E / US 91 / US 395; I-215 north exit 44A, south exit 44|
|23.05||5th Street - Downtown San Bernardino||Continuation beyond I-215|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Portions of this route have been relinquished to or are otherwise maintained by local or other governments, and are not included in the length.
- Robert V. Droz. "east–west Routes". U.S. Highways. Retrieved 2013-01-26.
- California Department of Transportation. "State Truck Route List". Sacramento: California Department of Transportation. Archived from the original (XLS file) on June 30, 2015. Retrieved June 30, 2015.
- "CA Codes (shc:250-257)". Leginfo.ca.gov. Archived from the original on 2012-10-14. Retrieved 2013-01-26.
- Los Angeles County Street Atlas (Map). Thomas Brothers. 2008.
- San Bernardino County Street Atlas (Map). Thomas Brothers. 2008.
- "CA Codes (shc:300-635)". Leginfo.ca.gov. Archived from the original on 2014-10-06. Retrieved 2013-10-19.
- California State Assembly. "An act to add Section 253 and Article 3 (commencing with Section 300) to Chapter 2 of Division 1 of, and to repeal Section 253 and Article 3 (commencing with Section 300) of Chapter 2 of Division 1 of, the...". 1963 Session of the Legislature. Statutes of California. State of California. Ch. 385 p. 1182.
- California State Assembly. " Session of the Legislature". Session of the Legislature. Statutes of California. State of California. Ch. 525.
- California Department of Transportation, Log of Bridges on State Highways, July 2007
- California Department of Transportation, All Traffic Volumes on CSHS, 2005 and 2006