Cadillacs and Dinosaurs: The Second Cataclysm
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs: The Second Cataclysm is a video game made by Rocket Science Games based on the comic book Xenozoic Tales. The game was originally released in 1994 for the Sega CD and later the PC.
|Cadillacs and Dinosaurs:|
The Second Cataclysm
Sega CD box art
|Developer(s)||Rocket Science Games|
|Publisher(s)||Sega, BMG Interactive|
|Platform(s)||Sega CD, PC|
A 3DO Interactive Multiplayer version of Cadillacs and Dinosaurs: The Second Cataclysm was announced to be in development during E3 1995 and slated to be published by BMG Interactive, however, this version was never released for unknown reasons.
In 1997, Jeff Sengstack of NewMedia wrote that Cadillacs and Dinosaurs "bombed miserably." Its sales by that point were below 20,000 units. According to PC Data, which tracked computer game sales in the United States, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs and Loadstar sold under 8,000 copies combined by 1996.
The game received generally mediocre reviews. Mike Weigand of Electronic Gaming Monthly commented on the game that "the graphics are quite good, but the overall theme of the game isn't very thrilling". Scary Larry of GamePro agreed that the game was dull, remarking "There's not much else to do here but shoot and steer", and disagreed on the graphics, citing muddy colors and a lack of detail. Next Generation saw a somewhat more positive review for the game. It said the game was technically impressive for its fluid animation and near-absence of load times, and though it criticized the lack of variety in the levels, it concluded, "However, on balance, it's smooth, fast and exciting, and what more could you ask for?"
- Bailey, Dustin (February 15, 2018). "Elon Musk made a game in 1984, and you can play it in your browser". PCGamesN. Archived from the original on February 18, 2018.
- "E-3 The Biggest And Best Electronic Entertainment Show Ever! – '95 Next Generation Software Listing". GameFan. No. Volume 3, Issue 7. July 1995. p. 41. Archived from the original on November 29, 2018. Retrieved August 31, 2019.
- "Preview – Coming Soon". 3DO Magazine. No. 10. Paragon Publishing. May 1996. pp. 33–34.
- "Preview – Coming Soon". 3DO Magazine. No. 12. Paragon Publishing. July 1996. pp. 33–34.
- "Review Crew: Cadillacs & Dinosaurs". Electronic Gaming Monthly. Ziff Davis (67): 34. February 1995.
- "Flowing". Next Generation. Imagine Media (3): 94. March 1995.
- Sengstack, Jeff (April 14, 1997). "The Making of Obsidian: Maybe It Does Take a Rocket Scientist". NewMedia. Archived from the original on 1997-04-14. Retrieved 2018-11-16.
- Greenstein, Jane (August 19, 1996). "No ROM at the Inn Leaves CD Firms on Road to Consolidation". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on October 17, 2015.
- "Cadillacs and Dinosaurs: The Second Cataclysm". GamePro. IDG (78): 58. March 1995.