Câmpia Turzii (Romanian pronunciation: [kɨmˌpi.a ˈturzij]; German: Jerischmarkt; Hungarian: Aranyosgyéres) is a municipality in Cluj County, Transylvania, Romania, which was formed in 1925 by the union of two villages, Ghiriș (Aranyosgyéres) and Sâncrai (Szentkirály). It was declared a town in 1950 and a city in 1998.
Câmpia Turzii town hall
Location in Cluj County
|• Mayor||Dorin Lojigan (PNL)|
|Area||23.78 km2 (9.18 sq mi)|
|• Density||930/km2 (2,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET/EEST (UTC+2/+3)|
The village of Sâncrai was mentioned in a 1219 document as "villa Sancti Regis" ("village of Holy King"), while Ghiriș was first documented in 1292 as "Terra Gerusteleke" ("Gerusteleke", literally meaning "plot of Gerus" in Hungarian).
|Ethnic composition of Câmpia Turzii|
The population has evolved as follows since 1784:
- 1784: Ghiriș: 565; Sâncrai: 472
- 1850: Ghiriș: 1,168; Sâncrai: 487
- 1910: Ghiriș: 1,815; Sâncrai: 704
- 1930 census: 4,124
- 1948 census: 6,310
- 1956 census: 11,518
- 1977 census: 22,418
- 2002 census: 26,823
- 2011 census: 22,223
The city is home to the Romanian Air Force's RoAF 71st Air Base, and during the NATO Summit of 2008, the 323rd Air Expeditionary Wing of the United States Air Force. F-15s from RAF Lakenheath in the United Kingdom flew out during the summit to augment air defence forces for the event.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Câmpia Turzii.|
- "Results of the 2016 local elections". Central Electoral Bureau. Retrieved 3 April 2020.
- "Populaţia stabilă pe judeţe, municipii, oraşe şi localităti componenete la RPL_2011" (in Romanian). National Institute of Statistics. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- There were two Hungarian kings canonised by this time, Stephen I of Hungary and Ladislaus I of Hungary. Ladislaus was personally involved in several battles against Cuman invaders in this region.
- Centrul de Resurso. "Structura Etno-demografică a României". Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- "U.S. Air Force A-10 Thunderbolt II jets have deployed to Romania". theaviationist.com. 30 March 2015.
|This Cluj County location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|