Butembo is a city in North Kivu, in the north eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, lying west of the Virunga National Park. The city is an important commercial centre with large markets, a cathedral, multiple large hospitals, and an airport. The city is located in a region known for tea and coffee growing. As of 2013 it had an estimated population of 670,285, making it the second largest city in North Kivu.
|Country||Democratic Republic of the Congo|
|• Total||190.34 km2 (73.49 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,381 m (4,531 ft)|
|• Density||3,500/km2 (9,100/sq mi)|
The city is home to the 2nd Integrated Brigade of the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, the Université Catholique du Graben (UCG), founded in 1989, and the Adventist University of Lukanga (UNILUK), founded in 1979.
- "Superficie et densié de la population en 2013". Bulletin Annuel des Statistiques Sociales, Province du Nord-Kivu (2013): 19. November 2014.
- Laura Seay (July 31, 2015). "Why one city in Congo is astonishingly stable and prosperous". The Washington Post.
- MONUC via Reliefweb, RD Congo : Rapport mensuel des droits de l'homme - juillet 2007
- Université Catholique du Graben (website)
- Butembo in Google Maps
- YouTube Video of Nella Star (2007) Video by Godfried van Loo following Dutch sociologist/anthropologist Nella Star when going back to Butembo after over 30 years. With a lot of footage from the city Butembo and surroundings. Dutch/French spoken and subtitled.
|This Democratic Republic of the Congo location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|