Buena Vista Lake
|Buena Vista Lake|
|Location||San Joaquin Valley
Kern County, California
|Primary inflows||Kern River
|Basin countries||United States|
|Surface area||60 to 150 square miles (160 to 390 km2)|
|Average depth||3.3 m (11 ft)|
|Surface elevation||88 m (289 ft)|
Buena Vista Lake was the second largest of several similar lakes in the Tulare Lake basin, and was fed by the waters of the Kern River. The Kern River's flow went into Buena Vista Lake southwest through the site Bakersfield via its main distributary channels or south through the Kern River Slough distributary into Kern Lake and then into Buena Vista Lake via Connecting Slough.
In times when Buena Vista Lake overflowed it first backed up into Kern Lake making one large lake. When this larger lake overflowed it flowed out through the Buena Vista Slough and Kern River channel northwest of Buena Vista Lake through tule marshland and Goose Lake, into Tulare Lake.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Buena Vista Lake
- https://www.dropbox.com/s/62n1jsh4uddeu6a/Vol593Fall2009.pdf?dl=0 George Gilbert Lynch, THE LATE, GREAT, BUENA VISTA LAKE, Historic Kern, Quarterly Bulletin, Volume 59, No. 3, Kern County Historical Society, Bakersfield, Fall - 2009]
- David A. Fredrickson, BUENA VISTA LAKE (CA-KER-116) REVISITED, This article originally appeared in Symposium: A New Look at some Old Sites, Papers from the Symposium Organized by Francis A. Riddell, Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Society for California Archaeology, March 23-26, 1983, San Diego, California. Coyote Press Archives of California Prehistory 6:75-81, 1986.
- Fishing In Lake Buena Vista, California LIVESTRONG.COM
- THE PRELIMINARY RESULTS OF THE 2008 ARCHAEOLOGICAL INVESTIGATIONS AT THE BEAD HILL SITE (KER-450), BUENA VISTA LAKE, CALIFORNIA; AMBER BARTON, MARIA DEL CARMEN GUZMAN, AND BREEANN ROMO, CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, BAKERSFIELD
- Margaret Aseman Cooper Zonlight, Land, water, and settlement in Kern County, California, 1850-1890, Arno Press Inc., 1979