Bartolo "Buddy" Valastro Jr. (born March 3, 1977) is an American baker and reality television personality of Italian heritage. He is the owner of Carlo's Bakery, as well as the face of Buddy V's Ristorante. Valastro is best known as the star of the reality television series Cake Boss, which premiered in April 2009. He has also starred in Kitchen Boss (2011), Next Great Baker (2010), and Buddy's Bakery Rescue (2013).
Valastro at the 2013 Jersey City Mayoral Inauguration
Bartolo Valastro Jr.
March 3, 1977
|Occupation||Owner of Carlo's Bakery, Buddy V's Events & Buddy V's Ristorante|
|Known for||Baker, cake designer and host of Cake Boss|
|Home town||Hoboken, New Jersey|
Lisa Valastro (m. 2001)
Valastro was born in Hoboken, New Jersey, to Buddy Valastro Sr., and Mary W. Tubito on March 3, 1977, and grew up in urban Hoboken and Little Ferry, New Jersey. His mother was born in Altamura, Italy, and is the daughter of Italian-American immigrants who moved to New Jersey when she was six years old. His father, Buddy Sr was born in Lipari, Italy. Valastro grew up with four sisters: Grace, Mary, Maddalena and Lisa.
He attended Ridgefield Park High School and took baking courses at the Bergen County Technical High School, Teterboro Campus.
Valastro is the owner and head baker of Carlo's Bakery, the bakery featured on the TLC show Cake Boss. Carlo's has since opened 17 more bakeries due to the popularity of the show. In January 2012, as a result of the attention that the shop and the TV series had brought to the city of Hoboken, the Hudson Reporter named Valastro as an honorable mention in its list of Hudson County's 50 most influential people.
Carlo's Bakery currently has seven locations in New Jersey—Hoboken, Marlton, Morristown, Red Bank, Ridgewood, Wayne, and Westfield. Outside of New Jersey, the bakery operates locations in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Bethlehem, Pennsylvania; Westbury and New York, New York; Orlando, Florida; Frisco, Dallas, and The Woodlands, Texas; São Paulo, Brazil; Uncasville, Connecticut; Las Vegas and most recently in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The Lackawanna Factory in nearby Jersey City serves as the corporate office for the business and is used as additional space to create wedding and specialty cakes, and to bake specialty baked goods for shipment across the country.
Valastro launched an event planning and catering company, Buddy V's Events, in June 2014 which specializes in a wide range of catering for corporate and family events.
In 2016 Valastro partnered with Whole Earth Sweetener Co. on a campaign to "Rethink Sweet." According to a press release, "Buddy will serve as the official brand ambassador for the new line of zero- and lower-calorie sweeteners, and will work to help his fans make healthy lifestyle choices, without compromising on taste. Buddy will share his culinary expertise, along with all-new, original and seasonally festive recipes for mouthwatering treats using Whole Earth Sweetener Co. products".
In 2018 Valastro partnered with The Pound Bakery, a pet treat manufacturing company to redesign and launch a new line of pet treats. "We wanted to create palatable treats for dogs that are inspired by classic Italian entrees and desserts," said Lexie Berglund, President of The Pound Bakery. Buddy also worked with several other companies to launch a full line of ready-to-use fondant, buttercream icing, and Italian Biscotti cookies under the new brand name Buddy Valastro Foods in 2018.
Until 2014, Valastro resided in East Hanover Township, New Jersey, with his wife Lisa and four children: Sofia Valastro, Bartolo "Buddy" Valastro III, Marco Valastro, and Carlo Valastro. He has four sisters and a stepfather, Sergio. His brother in law is Maurizio Belgiovine, Lisa's brother. As of 2014, he resided in Montville, New Jersey.
On 13 November 2014, Valastro was arrested for driving while intoxicated. His driver's license was suspended for 90 days and he paid a $300 fine.
|2007||Food Network Challenge||Guest mentor||Episode: "Battle of the Brides"|
|2010–2014||Next Great Baker||Host / Judge|
|2013–2014||Buddy's Bakery Rescue||Host|
|2015||The Apprentice||Guest judge||Episode: "May the Gods of Good Pies Be with Us"|
|2015–2018||Batalha dos Confeiteiros||Host / Judge|
|2016||Batalha dos Cozinheiros||Host / Judge|
|2016||Buddy's Family Vacation||Host|
|2016||Bakers vs. Fakers||Host|
|2017||Dancing with the Stars Brazil||Judge||Christmas special|
|2018–present||Buddy's Big Bakedown||Host|
|2018||Impractical Jokers||Himself||Episode: "Pulling the Rug"|
|2019||Buddy vs Duff||Himself|
|2019–present||Bake You Rich||Host / Judge|
|2010–2012||Next Great Baker||6 episodes|
|2011–2012||Kitchen Boss||All episodes|
|2015–2018||Batalha dos Confeiteiros||All episodes|
|2016||Batalha dos Cozinheiros||All episodes|
|2016||Cake Boss||8 episodes|
|2016||Cooks vs. Cons||1 episode|
|2016||Bakers vs. Fakers||All episodes|
In popular cultureEdit
- "Buddy height = 5'6 Valastro". Hollywood Life. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- Staff. "The Cake Boss returns to Little Ferry", Little Ferry Local, May 7, 2010. Accessed November 14, 2014. "Cake Boss Buddy Valastro returned to Little Ferry on April 27 to accept the 'keys to the city' during ceremonies at Borough Hall. Valastro, who grew up in town, is best known for his starring role on the TLC television program The Cake Boss.".
- "Buddy Valastro". TLC. Retrieved November 14, 2014.
- "Il boss delle torte arriva ad Altamura" (in Italian).
- Brunati, Bryan (April 12, 2019). "One Happy Bunch: A Guide to 'Cake Boss' Star Buddy Valastro's Wife, Kids and Family". CloserWeekly.com. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- Valastro, Buddy. Cake Boss: Stories and Recipes from Mia Famiglia, p. 81. Simon and Schuster, 2011. ISBN 9781451610345. Accessed November 26, 2019. "When I was sixteen, I returned to Ridgefield Park Junior Senior High School, which had a vocational program as well; I'd take academic classes in the morning, then hop on a bus to Teterboro High School for my afternoon baking classes."
- "'Cake Boss' Buddy Valastro adds a layer to TV/bakery empire with Times Square cafe". New York Daily News. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- "They've got the power – Hudson Reporter Archives". The Hudson Reporter. January 11, 2012.
- "Celebrity Baker Buddy Valastro Partners with Whole Earth Sweetener Co". www.fsrmagazine.com. FSR Magazine. September 13, 2016. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- "Buddy Valastro Pets Launches Treats with The Pound Bakery". www.petbusiness.com. Retrieved 2018-07-30.
- Heilpern, John (December 2013). "Out to Lunch with Buddy Valastro". Vanity Fair. Condé Nast. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- Triggs, Charlotte (August 13, 2012). "Cake Boss Buddy Valastro: My Mom's Fight to Live". People. Time Inc. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- Moore, Tina; Jacobs, Shayna; Siemaszko, Corky (November 13, 2014). "'Cake Boss' star Buddy Valastro tried to charm NYPD out of drunk driving charge: prosecutors". Daily News. Retrieved 17 November 2015.
- Smith, Dustin (2009-03-25). "TLC Takes the Cake With Buddy Valastro" (Press release). Discovery Press Web. Retrieved 12 September 2015.