Brian Leslie Weiss (born November 6, 1944) is an American psychiatrist, hypnotherapist, and author who specializes in past life regression. His research includes purported reincarnation, past life regression, future life progression, and survival of the soul after death.
Brian Weiss in 2012
Brian Leslie Weiss
November 6, 1944
New York City, USA
|Alma mater||Columbia University, Yale University|
|Known for||Reincarnation research|
Education and medical careerEdit
Weiss studied at Columbia University, and later graduated from the Yale University School of Medicine in 1970, completing an internship in internal medicine at the New York University Medical Center then returning to Yale for a two-year residency in psychiatry. He went on to become Head of Psychiatry, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Miami.
Past life regression and future life progressionEdit
According to Weiss, in 1980 one of his patients, "Catherine", began discussing past-life experiences under hypnosis. Weiss did not believe in reincarnation at the time but, after confirming elements of Catherine's stories through public records, came to be convinced of the survival of an element of the human personality after death. Weiss claims he has regressed more than 4,000 patients since 1980.
Weiss advocates hypnotic regression as therapy, claiming that many phobias and ailments are rooted in past-life experiences whose acknowledgement by the patient can have a curative effect. Weiss also writes about messages received from the "Masters", or "super-evolved, nonphysical souls", he claims to have communicated with through his subjects. Weiss holds workshops and seminars across the United States that explain and teach self-regression mediation techniques. This includes the Hay House I Can Do It one day workshops and the intense experiential workshops at the Omega Institute for Holistic Studies in NY.
Weiss lives with his wife Carole in Miami, Florida, where he writes and conducts public seminars and workshops on the subject of reincarnation. His daughter Amy E. Weiss is the co-author of his 2012 book Miracles Happen: The Transformational Healing Power of Past-Life Memories.
- Many Lives, Many Masters: The True Story of a Prominent Psychiatrist, His Young Patient, and the Past-Life Therapy That Changed Both Their Lives (1988). ISBN 0-671-65786-0
- Through Time into Healing: Discovering the Power of Regression Therapy to Erase Trauma and Transform Mind, Body and Relationships (1993). ISBN 0-7499-1835-7.
- Only Love Is Real: A Story of Soulmates Reunited (1997) ISBN 0-7499-1620-6.
- Messages From the Masters: Tapping into the Power of Love (2001). ISBN 0-7499-2167-6
- Mirrors of Time: Using Regression for Physical, Emotional, and Spiritual Healing (2002). ISBN 1-5617-0929-8.
- Same Soul, Many Bodies: Discover the Healing Power of Future Lives through Progression Therapy (2005). ISBN 0-7499-2541-8. ISBN 0-7432-6434-7.
- Miracles Happen: The Transformational Healing Power of Past Life Memories (2012) ISBN 978-0-06-220122-5
- "Past Life Regression Therapy: Encouraging Fantasy". Science-Based Medicine. 2016-07-26. Retrieved 2018-07-06.
- Bodkin, J. A. (2003-07-09). "Science and Pseudoscience in Clinical Psychology". JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association. 290 (2): 268–269. doi:10.1001/jama.290.2.268. ISSN 0098-7484.
- Regal, Brian (2009-10-15). Pseudoscience: A Critical Encyclopedia: A Critical Encyclopedia. ABC-CLIO. ISBN 9780313355080.
- Miller, Lisa (August 27, 2010). "Remembrances of Lives Past". The New York Times.
- "FL DOH MQA Search Portal | Home Page". appsmqa.doh.state.fl.us.
- "Past Lives". Lodi News-Sentinel. Oct 19, 1989. Retrieved June 3, 2013.
- "Doctor Details Patient's Past Lives". Miami Herald. May 29, 1989. p. 6B.
- Breakfast with Brian Weiss, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, August 5, 2002, Accessed April 25, 2009.
- Weinstein-Moser, Edie. "Interview with Brian Weiss". Wisdom magazine. Wisdom-Magazine.com. 2008. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- "Messages From The Masters | Brian L. Weiss, MD".
- Miracles Happen: The Transformational Healing Power of Past-Life Memories