Brazoswood High School
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Brazoswood High School|
302 West Brazoswood Drive
|School district||Brazosport Independent School District|
|Grades||9, 10, 11, & 12|
|Color(s)||Air Force Blue and Silver|
|Rival||Angleton High School Brazosport High School|
|Newspaper||The Silver Sabre|
|Yearbook||The Treasure Chest|
The first class graduated 356 students in May 1971. The Alma Mater, written especially for this school, was not completed until just before graduation. When it was played at the ceremonies in May 1971, the graduating seniors were hearing it for the first time and therefore could not sing their alma mater at graduation.
Approximately 2,500 students attend Brazoswood High School. More than eighty percent of the students participate in one or more of the many clubs, organizations, and sports.
In the National Merit Program, Brazoswood had one National Merit Semi-finalist, one Hispanic Scholar, and 9 Commended students in 2012. Brazoswood High School was named as one of the top Texas High Schools by U.S. News & World Report in their article, "Best High Schools 2012." BHS is also ranked nationally in the Top 10%.
- 1 Demographics
- 2 Academics
- 3 Extracurricular activities
- 4 Band
- 5 Orchestra
- 6 Athletics
- 7 Notable alumni
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Historical student enrollment:
In the 2012 school year, the racial composition was as follows:
In the 2015 school year, the racial composition was as follows:
In the 2018 school year, the racial composition was as follows:
|Mathematics||Science||Language Arts||Social Studies|
|Geometry 9, Pre-AP||Aquatic Science||English I, Pre-AP||World Geography Pre-AP|
|Algebra I, II, Pre-AP||Biology Pre-AP, AP||English II, Pre-AP||World History Pre-AP, AP|
|Statistics Pre-AP, AP||Chemistry Pre-AP, AP||English III, Pre-AP, AP||Government Pre-AP, AP|
|Calculus Pre-AP, AP||Physics Pre-AP, AP 1, AP 2, AP C: Mech||English IV, Pre-AP, AP||Economics FE, AP|
|Math Models||Environmental Science AP||Deaf Education||Human Geography AP|
|Creative Writing||US History AP|
- Spanish I, II, III, IV, V
- French I, II, III, IV
- German I, II, III, IV
- American Sign Language I, II, III, IV
- Energy, Power, and Transportation Systems
- Manufacturing Systems
- Construction Systems
- Meat Processing I, II
- Wild Life Management
- Intro to Agricultural Science
- Agricultural Mechanics
- Child Development
- Child Guidance
- Health Science Tech I, II
- Lifetime Nutrition & Wellness
- Career Prep I, II
Business and Technology ApplicationEdit
- Desktop Publishing
- Touch System Data Entry
- Digital and Interactive Media
- Web Technologies
- Principles of Information Technologies
- Business Information Management
- Business Law
- Audio and Video Production Reg, ADV
- Principles of Business Marketing and Finance
Unit TX-20054 is established at Brazoswood High School.
Wind Ensemble & Marching BandEdit
The Brazoswood High School Band program includes four concert bands, two jazz bands, and color guard. The 270 member Brazoswood Buc Band has been a consistent participant at regional marching contests as well as the Texas State Marching Contest. The band has also appeared at the National Cherry Blossom Festival parade and the Disney Magic Music Days parade.
Many band students have been a part of the TMEA audition process,[clarification needed] placing into the All-Region and All-State ensembles. Over the past 14 years, an average of 45 Brazoswood students each year have placed in the bands at the Region level, with an average of 13 each year moving on to Area and 3 reaching the State level. In 2012, the band produced 10 All-State Members, a school record. In 2000, 2004, 2006, and 2016 the Brazoswood Symphonic Band had every member win an outstanding performance award medal at the UIL Wind Ensemble Festival. The Brazoswood Symphonic Band was named TMEA Class AAAAA Honor Band in 2013.
The band has consistently earned First Division ratings in UIL Marching and Concert Competitions. 2015 marked the 35th consecutive year of earning a first division at the Regional UIL Marching Competition. The Symphonic Band was a UIL Sweepstakes winner for the 32nd consecutive year in 2012 and earned numerous individual medals at the Texas Wind Ensemble Festival.
The Brazoswood AM & PM Jazz Bands have won numerous regional and national awards. In addition, jazz ensembles from Brazoswood have produced musicians who have gone on to pursue careers as working jazz musicians.
The Brazoswood Orchestra was founded in 1969. The Brazoswood Symphony Orchestra was twice named TMEA (Texas Music Educators Assn.) Full Orchestra, in 1974 and in 1989. The Orchestra has provided members for the TMEA All-District to the All-State Orchestra programs since 1972.
Brazoswood High School is a member of District 24-6A of Texas.
Brazoswood has produced several championship teams and several individual honors. 
- 1974 State Football Champions
- 1984 State Baseball Champions
- 1992 State Baseball Champions
- 2000 State Softball Champions
- 2007 State Cross Country (Girl) Champions
- 2011 State Baseball Champions
- 2011 State Skeet Shooting Champions
- 2012 State Wrestling Champion (Girls' 110lbs)
- Tex Brashear - cartoon voice actor and narrator
- Robert Ellis - singer-songwriter
- Stephanie Guerrero - Miss Texas USA
- Phil Huffman - MLB Baseball Player
- Steve Hunt, jazz pianist who recorded and toured with Allan Holdsworth and Stanley Clarke; teaches at Berklee College of Music
- Brad Lincoln - MLB Baseball Player
- Rand Paul - United States Senator for Kentucky
- Ryan Tepera - MLB Baseball Player
- Ronnie Heard - NFL San Francisco & Atlanta 2000-2005
- Nick Miller - NFL Cleveland 1987
- Gary Moten- NFL San Francisco, Kansas 1983-1987
- Derrel Luce- NFL Baltimore, Minnesota, Detroit 1975-1980
- Ray Waddy- NFL Washington 1979-1980
- Jimmy Dean- NFL Houston 1978-1978
- Hopper Field - The Brazosport ISD stadium
- "About Brazoswood". BISD. BISD. Archived from the original on 1 January 2010. Retrieved 13 May 2011.
- "2015 Accountability Rating System" (PDF). Texas Education Agency. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-09-10.
-  Archived June 5, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- "Student Life". BISD. BISD. Archived from the original on 14 August 2009. Retrieved 13 May 2011.
- "Brazoswood Achievements". BISD. BISD. Archived from the original on 1 January 2010. Retrieved 13 May 2011.
- "Robert Ellis, Houston Area Country/Western Composer and Singer". Brazoswood High School Choir. Retrieved June 27, 2015.