HOSA – Future Health Professionals, formerly known as Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA), is an international career and technical student organization endorsed by the U.S. Department of Education and the Health Science Technology Education Division of ACTE. HOSA is composed of middle school, secondary, and post secondary/collegiate students, along with professional, alumni, and honorary members. It is headquartered in Southlake, Texas, and is the largest student organization which prepares students to enter the healthcare field. Currently known as HOSA Future Health Professionals, it is an international organization including U.S. Territories, Canada, China, and Mexico.
|Type||Career and technical student organization (CTSO)|
|Headquarters||548 Silicon Drive, Suite 101|
Southlake, Texas 76092
HOSA was founded in 1976 out of a task force from the American Vocational Association in order to determine whether a new student organization accommodating healthcare students was necessary.
From November 4–7, 1975, the State Department of Education and Division of Vocational Education in New Jersey with 18 representatives from Alabama, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma and Texas voted to form the American Health Occupations Education Student Organization.
On November 10–13, 1976, in a constitutional convention in Arlington, Texas AHOESO adopted bylaws, which also changed the organization's name to Health Occupations Students of America; elected national leaders; selected colors and a motto; made plans to design an emblem; and set the first National Leadership Conference for the spring of 1978 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
In 2004, the organization dropped the acronym from its name, and began publishing all documents under the brand "HOSA – Future Health Professionals."
|“||The mission of HOSA is to empower HOSA-Future Health Professionals to become leaders in the global health community through education, collaboration, and experience.||”|
|— HOSA Mission Statement|
- President – Vivian Do (CA)
- President Elect – Jake Kelley (TN)
- Central Region Vice President – Fanny Emeterio Ontiveros (AL)
- Eastern Region Vice President – Dev Patel (NJ)
- Western Region Vice President- Hebah Tanveer (TX)
- Postsecondary/Collegiate Vice President – Collin Kaster (WA)
- Secondary Board Representative – Amanda Gao (CA)
- Postsecondary/Collegiate Board Representative- Kasey Canteli (FL)
The official HOSA uniform consists of a navy blue suit with maroon accent in the form of a tie for men or a scarf for women. The HOSA emblem is affixed to the suit jacket.
International Leadership ConferenceEdit
Members meet annually at an International Leadership Conference held in late June in cities across the United States. Over 7,500 students participate in exciting general sessions, competitive events, and leadership experiences, all while networking with health sciences students from nearly all 50 states and a few nations, including Canada and Mexico.
Past & Upcoming ILCs Includes:
- 2002 – June 26–29 – Anaheim Hilton and Marriott – Anaheim, California
- 2003 – June 18–21 – Atlanta Marriott, Hyatt, and Hilton – Atlanta, Georgia
- 2004 – June 23–26 – Marriott World Center – Orlando, Florida
- 2005 – June 22–25 – Gaylord Opryland Hotel – Nashville, Tennessee
- 2006 – June 21–24 – Anaheim Hilton & Anaheim Marriott – Anaheim, California
- 2007 – June 20–23 – Marriott World Center – Orlando Florida
- 2008 – June 18–21 – Adam’s Mark Hotel – Dallas, Texas
- 2009 – June 24–27 – Gaylord Opryland Hotel – Nashville, Tennessee
- 2010 – June 23–26 – Disney's Coronado Springs Resort – Orlando, Florida
- 2011 – June 22–25 – Hilton Anaheim – Anaheim, California
- 2012 – June 20–23 – Disney's Coronado Springs Resort – Orlando, Florida
- 2013 – June 26–30 – Gaylord Opryland Hotel – Nashville, Tennessee
- 2014 – June 25–28 – Disney's Coronado Springs Resort – Orlando, Florida
- 2015 – June 24–27 – Hilton Anaheim – Anaheim, California
- 2016 – June 22–25 – Gaylord Opryland Hotel – Nashville, Tennessee
- 2017 – June 21–24 – Disney's Coronado Springs Resort – Orlando, Florida
- 2018 – June 27–30 – Dallas Convention Center – Dallas, Texas
- 2019 – June 19–22 – Disney's Coronado Springs Resort – Orlando, Florida
- 2020 – June 24–27 – Houston Convention Center, Houston, Texas
- 2021 – June 23–26 – Disney's Coronado Springs Resort, Orlando, Florida
HOSA currently offers 58 competitive events, ranging from skill-based to leadership and team-based. Members compete at the regional, state, and international levels. Those who place in the top three positions at the state level are given the opportunity to compete at the international level.
Health Science Events: Dental Terminology, Medical Spelling, Medical Terminology**, Medical Math, Medical Reading**, KT – Behavioral Health, KT – Health Career Exploration(Middle School Only)**, KT – Human Growth and Development, KT – Medical Law and Ethics, KT – Nutrition**, KT – Pharmacology, KT – Pathophysiology, KT – Transcultural Healthcare,
Health Professions Events: Biomedical Laboratory Science, Clinical Nursing, Clinical Specialty, Dental Science, Home Health Aide, Medical Assisting, Medical Assisting Fillable Form – Skill II, Medical Assisting Fillable Form – Skill III, Nursing Assisting, Personal Care*, Pharmacy Science, Physical Therapy, Sports Medicine, Veterinary Science, Emergency Preparedness Events, CERT Skills, CPR/First Aid, Emergency Medical Technician, Epidemiology, Life Support Skills *, MRC Partnership, Public Health**,
Leadership Events: Extemporaneous Health Poster**, Extemporaneous Writing, Health Career Photography, Healthy Lifestyle**, Interviewing Skills*, Job Seeking Skills, Prepared Speaking**, Researched Persuasive Writing and Speaking, Speaking Skills*/**, Teamwork Events, Biomedical Debate, BD Contact Cards, Community Awareness, Creative Problem Solving, Forensic Science, Health Career Display**, Health Education**, HOSA Bowl, HB Contact Cards, Existing Medical Innovation, Original Medical Innovation, Parliamentary Procedure, Public Service Announcement,
Recognition Events: Barbara James Service Award**, HOSA Happenings**, Healthcare Issues Exam, HOSA Service Project**, Outstanding HOSA Achievement, Outstanding HOSA Chapter Middle School, Outstanding HOSA Chapter Secondary and Postsecondary / Collegiate, HOSA Week Proclamation, HOSA Week Ideas, Outstanding HOSA Leader, MRC Volunteer Recognition
2 asterisks mean the event has a middle school division 
- Student Membership Handbook, p. 6
- Davis, Kevin. "What is HOSA?". Health Occupations Students of America. Retrieved 2009-10-03.
- Davis, Kevin. "HOSA Headquarters". Health Occupations Students of America. Archived from the original on 2010-01-25. Retrieved 2009-10-31. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Lauver, Lori S., et al. "Kids Into Health Careers: A Rural Initiative." The Journal of Rural Health 27.1 (2011): 114–121.
- "HOSA Executive Council". hosa.org.
- HOSA Handbook Section A
- Student Membership Handbook, p. 13
- Student Membership Handbook, p. 10
- Student Membership Handbook, p. 10
- HOSA — national website