Braunston-in-Rutland is a village and civil parish in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. The population of the civil parish was 392 at the 2001 census, including Brooke and increasing to 502 at the 2011 census. Leicestershire lies on the parish's western boundary
All Saints' Church
|Area||2.5 sq mi (6.5 km2) |
|Population||392 2001 Census|
|• Density||157/sq mi (61/km2)|
|OS grid reference|
|• London||84 miles (135 km) SSE|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
The village retains two public houses, The Old Plough, and the 17th-century Blue Ball Inn. The parish church, which has a circular churchyard, is dedicated to All Saints.
The Braunston "Goddess"Edit
A sculpted stone stands in the churchyard, at the west end of the church, close to the tower. Known as the Braunston "Goddess", it was found in about 1920 when the church doorstep needed to be replaced. When the slab was lifted the carving was revealed on the underside. There has been considerable speculation[by whom?] as to its age and meaning, and its original position as part of the church building, or whether it may even predate the church. It is clearly not a gargoyle as it has no drainage channel.[according to whom?] It may have had an apotropaic purpose. It has facial and stylistic similarities with some Irish Sheela na Gigs, but it has no genitalia.
- "A vision of Britain through time". University of Portsmouth. Retrieved 30 January 2009.
- "Rutland Civil Parish Populations" (PDF). Rutland County Council. 2001. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-10-12. Retrieved 30 January 2009.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 24 June 2016.
- Media related to Braunston-in-Rutland at Wikimedia Commons
- At the Edge article on the Braunston "Goddess"
- Sheela Na Gig Project article on the Braunston figure
- Step back in time in Rutland, The Observer, The Guardian, January 25, 2009
- Braunston Church Website
- The Blue Ball, Rutland's oldest inn
- The Old Plough
- Braunston Parish Council website
|This geographical article about a location in Rutland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|