Brand New Cherry Flavor is an American horror drama streaming television limited series created by Nick Antosca and Lenore Zion, based on the novel of the same name by Todd Grimson. The cast includes Rosa Salazar, Catherine Keener, Eric Lange, Manny Jacinto and Jeff Ward. The series premiered on Netflix on August 14, 2021.
|Brand New Cherry Flavor|
|Based on||Brand New Cherry Flavor|
by Todd Grimson
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||8|
|Running time||36–52 minutes|
|Picture format||4K UHDTV|
|Audio format||Dolby Digital|
|Original release||August 13, 2021|
Lisa N. Nova (Rosa Salazar) comes to LA dead set on directing her first movie. But when she trusts the wrong person and gets stabbed in the back, everything goes sideways and a dream project turns into a nightmare. This particular nightmare has zombies, hit men, supernatural kittens, and a mysterious tattoo artist who likes to put curses on people. And Lisa's going to have to figure out some secrets from her own past in order to get out alive.— Netflix's summary of the series
Cast and charactersEdit
- Rosa Salazar as Lisa Nova
- Catherine Keener as Boro/Jennifer Nathans
- Eric Lange as Lou Burke
- Jeff Ward as Roy Hardaway
- Manny Jacinto as Chris/Code
- Hannah Levien as Christine
- Siena Werber as Mary Gray/Boro
- Daniel Doheny as Jonathan Burke
- Darcy Laurie as Ralph
- Sean Owen Roberts as James
- Leland Orser as Mike Nathans
- Patrick Fischler as Alvin Sender
- Gabriel LaBelle as Tim Nathans
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||"I Exist"||Arkasha Stevenson||Teleplay by : Lenore Zion & Nick Antosca||August 13, 2021|
|2||"Hair of the Dog"||Gandja Monteiro||Mando Alvarado||August 13, 2021|
|3||"Roman Candle"||Gandja Monteiro||Christina Ham||August 13, 2021|
|4||"Tadpole Smoothie"||Matt Sobel||Teleplay by : Nick Antosca & Haley Z. Boston|
Story by : Alana B. Lytle & Haley Z. Boston
|August 13, 2021|
|5||"Jennifer"||Matt Sobel||Lenore Zion & Haley Z. Boston||August 13, 2021|
|6||"Milk Bath"||Jake Schreier||Matt Fennell||August 13, 2021|
|7||"Egg"||Jake Schreier||Mando Alvarado & Christina Ham|
Lenore Zion & Nick Antosca
|August 13, 2021|
|8||"Bodies"||Nick Antosca||Lenore Zion & Nick Antosca||August 13, 2021|
On November 15, 2019, it was announced that Netflix had given the production a series order for an 8-episode series. The limited series was created, written and executive produced by Nick Antosca and Lenore Zion. Arkasha Stevenson directed the first episode. Production companies involved with the limited series consists of Eat the Cat and Universal Content Productions. Alongside the series order announcement, it was confirmed that Rosa Salazar, Catherine Keener, Eric Lange, Manny Jacinto, and Jeff Ward had joined the cast. On December 17, 2020, Hannah Levien, Leland Orser, and Patrick Fischler were announced as recurring cast members. Principal photography took place on location in Vancouver and Los Angeles from November 2019 to March 2020. The series was released on August 13, 2021.
Rotten Tomatoes collected 37 reviews and identified 78% of them as positive, with an average rating of 6.9/10. The critics consensus is: "Though definitely not for all tastes, Brand New Cherry Flavor is a delightfully deranged trip anchored by another incredible performance from Rosa Salazar." According to Metacritic, the series received "generally favorable reviews" based on a weighted average score of 62 out of 100 from 13 reviews.
- ^ "Jeff Russo Scoring Netflix's 'Brand New Cherry Flavor'". Film Music Reporter. August 11, 2021. Archived from the original on August 12, 2021. Retrieved August 12, 2021.
- ^ a b c Andreeva, Nellie (November 15, 2019). "'Brand New Cherry Flavor' Series Headlined By Rosa Salazar A Go At Netflix; Catherine Keener, Eric Lange, Jeff Ward & Manny Jacinto Co-Star In Horror Adaptation". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on January 16, 2020. Retrieved April 24, 2021.
- ^ a b Cordero, Rosy (July 19, 2021). "Rosa Salazar Goes Dark In Netflix's 'Brand New Cherry Flavor' Teaser Trailer". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on January 26, 2022. Retrieved July 19, 2021.
- ^ Maas, Jennifer (July 19, 2021). "'Brand New Cherry Flavor' Series Finally Gets Premiere Date at Netflix – Watch First Teaser Here (Video)". TheWrap. Archived from the original on August 9, 2021. Retrieved August 8, 2021.
- ^ Petski, Denise (December 17, 2020). "'Brand New Cherry Flavor': Hannah Levien, Leland Orser, Patrick Fischler to Recur in Netflix Horror Adaptation". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on February 18, 2021. Retrieved April 24, 2021.
- ^ "Netflix Horror Series 'Brand New Cherry Flavor:' Release Date, Details". TVShowsAce. August 5, 2021. Archived from the original on August 10, 2021. Retrieved August 10, 2021.
- ^ "Brand New Cherry Flavor: Season 1". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved September 15, 2022.
- ^ "Brand New Cherry Flavor: Season 1". Metacritic. Fandom, Inc. Retrieved August 14, 2021.