A bralette is a lightweight bra without an underwire, designed primarily for comfort. Bralettes are also sometimes worn as outerwear top, and are also designed as undershirts for girls developing breasts. The size of the bralette also differs from that of a bra: Instead of band width and cup size, normal clothing sizes are commonly used (S-XL or even larger).
In the 2010s and early 2020s, bralettes and soft bras started gaining in popularity, at the expense of underwired and padded bras. Some brands such as Victoria's Secret failed to follow this trend and adjust; as a result of which their sales decreased significantly. In 2017, the sales of cleavage-enhancing bras fell by 45% while, at Marks & Spencer, sales of wireless bras grew by 40%. Some have attributed the rising popularity of bralettes to a new focus on the "athletic body, health and wellbeing", more than "about the male gaze," while others suggest a connection to the #MeToo movement.
See also edit
- Linda Dyett, The Bralette Is Back. This Time Blouses Are Optional, The New York Times, 2019-07-31
- Emma Seymour, 17 Comfortable Bralettes of All Shapes and Sizes to Wear at Home, Good Housekeeping, 2020-05-18
Bernadette Deron, No Underwire Here! You’ll Wish You Bought This Plunge Bralette Sooner, US Magazine, 2020-06-18
Abigail Southan, Best bralettes to shop for women of all bust sizes, Cosmopolitan, 2020-03-27
Tembe Denton-Hurst, This $20 bralette actually supports my big boobs, Nylon
- The Playground Set Gets Its Own Bras; URL accessed August 22, 2020.
- Bralette vs. Bra; URL accessed July 29, 2023.
- Georgina Safe, Cup half full: the lingerie brands ditching padding and underwire, The Guardian, 2020-02-06
- VerityJohnson, Woke millennials didn't kill Victoria's Secret, pale stale males did, Stuff, 2020-02-07
- Harriet Walker, Push-up bras prove a bad fit for women in era of #MeToo, The Times, 2018-10-27
- Kate Finnigan, Soft focus: the new lingerie evolution, Financial Times, 2020-07-08
- Alicia Lansom, Trade In Your Underwired Bra For Something A Little More Comfortable, Refinery29, 2020-04-19