Brainfeeder is an independent record label based in Los Angeles, California, founded by Flying Lotus in 2008, focusing on electronic music and instrumental hip hop. It has signed artists such as Ras G, Samiyam, The Gaslamp Killer, Thundercat, The Underachievers, Lapalux, Daedelus, and Mr. Oizo.
|Distributor(s)||Alpha Pup Records (U.S.)|
Ninja Tune (Rest of World)
|Country of origin||United States|
|Location||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
In 2007, Brainfeeder debuted as the name of a four-hour radio broadcast by Flying Lotus and his friends on Dublab. It is also the name of the first track on Flying Lotus's album Los Angeles. In 2008, Brainfeeder officially launched as a record label. In 2010, Ninja Tune offered Brainfeeder a deal to manufacture, distribute and promote the catalogue worldwide, with Alpha Pup Records remaining as the U.S. digital distributor. In that year, Brainfeeder was listed by LA Weekly as the most exciting Los Angeles indie label. In 2012, it was named "Label of the Year" at Gilles Peterson's Worldwide Awards.
- Austin Peralta
- Captain Murphy
- David Firth
- DJ Paypal
- Dorian Concept
- Flying Lotus[nb 1]
- Genevieve Artadi
- George Clinton
- Georgia Anne Muldrow
- Hiatus Kaiyote
- Jaga Jazzist
- Jeremiah Jae
- Kamasi Washington
- Locust Toybox
- Louis Cole
- Miguel Atwood-Ferguson
- Mr. Oizo
- Ras G
- Ross from Friends
- Taylor McFerrin
- The Gaslamp Killer
- The Underachievers
- Reeves, Mosi (20 January 2009). "Brainfeeder". Electronic Musician. Archived from the original on 22 January 2013. Retrieved 5 May 2012.
- "Brainfeeder partner with Ninja Tune". CMU. 10 February 2010.
- Pescovitz, David (1 July 2011). "Brainfeeder's "beat music" scene". Boing Boing.
- "Label Profile: Brainfeeder Records". Clash. 26 July 2010.
- Otis, Erik (17 July 2011). "Samiyam "Sam Baker's Album" on Brainfeeder". Sound Colour Vibration. Archived from the original on 2011-11-06. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- MacInnes, Paul (19 November 2011). "Two nights in the life of Brainfeeder, LA's low end high-flyers". The Guardian.
- Meara, Paul (17 September 2012). "Label Profile: Brainfeeder Adds NY Duo The Underachievers To Its Roster". Complex.
- Gieben, Bram E. (13 March 2013). "Lapalux in interview: Brainfeeder's latest prodigy talks his psychedelic debut". The Skinny.
- Turner, David (24 September 2014). "Stream The Light Brigade by Brainfeeder's Daedelus". The Fader.
- Jackson, Glenn (14 November 2014). "Listen to Mr. Oizo's Upcoming LP for Brainfeeder in Full". XLR8R.
- Fintoni, Laurent (26 August 2015). "How Flying Lotus Built Brainfeeder, His Spiritual Little Empire". The Fader. Retrieved 14 June 2016.
- Tewksbury, Drew (28 December 2010). "Top 10 Most Exciting L.A. Indie Labels of 2010". LA Weekly. Retrieved 14 June 2016.
- "Warp Records: Flying Lotus Artist Page". Warp Records. Retrieved 5 February 2017.