Boutique hotels began appearing in the 1980s in major cities like London, New York, and San Francisco. Boutique hotels are believed to have been introduced in the early 1980s. Two of the first boutique hotels in the world opened their doors to the public in 1981: The Blakes Hotel in South Kensington, London (designed by celebrity stylist Anouska Hempel) and the Bedford in Union Square, San Francisco (the first in a series of 34 boutique hotels currently operated under the flag of one of the most eminent players in the boutique hotel world today, the Kimpton Group). Although there is some quibbling as to whether it was the first boutique hotel ever, Morgans, founded by Ian Shrager and Steve Rubell in New York City, is the most notable of the era; it debuted in 1984. San Francisco & Los Angeles Boutique Hoteliers were engaged in what was an East Coast/West Coast debate over exactly who coined the phrase. Many have laid claim.
A trend observed in recent times is for international hotel chains to establish luxury boutique sub-brands to capitalize on the growth of this segment.
Many boutique hotels are furnished in a themed, stylish and/or aspirational manner. The popularity of the boutique concept has prompted some multi-national hotel companies to try to capture a market share. In the United States, New York City remains an important centre for boutique hotels clustered about Manhattan. Some members of the hospitality industry are following the general "no-frill chic" consumer trend, with affordable or budget boutique hotels being created all around the world. Boutique hotels are found in London, New York City, Miami, and Los Angeles. They are also found in resort destinations with exotic amenities such as electronics, spas, yoga and painting classes.
- "What Are Boutique Hotels - Written By: Karen Tina Harrison - About.com". Retrieved 2013-11-24.
- "what is a boutique hotel - written by Les Boutique Hotel". Retrieved 2019-11-08.
- Rosner, Cheryl. "What is a boutique hotel?". blog.stayful.com/. Stayful. Archived from the original on 2017-06-24. Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- "History of Boutique Hotels". Retrieved 2017-03-08.
- "The Boutique Hotel: Fad or Phenomenon" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2018-07-05. Retrieved 2007-04-24.
- Levenson, Eugenia (2007-11-12). "Road Warrior: Michelin Guide's Jean-Luc Naret". CNN. Retrieved 2008-01-15.
- "No-frills chic hits the hospitality industry". Archived from the original on 2010-06-24. Retrieved 2007-10-11.
- "The Definition of Boutique Hotels - Written By: Lucienne Anhar - HVS International". Retrieved 2014-04-03.