Bolesław-Jerzy II (1305/1310 – April 7, 1340) was a ruler of the Polish Piast dynasty who ruled the originally Ruthenian principality of Galicia. After his death started the Galicia–Volhynia Wars over succession of Galicia and Volhynia.
Bolesław was born between 1305 and 1310 to Trojden I of Masovia from the Piast dynasty, Duke of Czersk and Maria, daughter of Yuri I, prince of Galicia. Since his father was still a ruler of the family's Masovian lands, in 1323 Bolesław, renamed Jerzy, became Prince of Galicia. He also received the Duchy of Belz after the childless death of Andrew of Galicia. In 1331 he married daughter of Grand Duke of Lithuania Gediminas and sister of Aldona of Lithuania, wife of Casimir III of Poland. Name of Bolesław's wife is disputed. T. Narbutt wrote that her pagan name was Eufemia and her Christian name was Maria. Oswald Balzer supposed that her Christian name was Eufemia. Kazimierz Jasiński supposed that whole Narbutt's account was fabrication.
In a treaty of 1338 Bolesław Jerzy offered Casimir III of Poland succession to the throne of Galicia-Volhynia. Duke Boleslaw was supported by the many townspeople living there. In 1324 Boleslaw located the towns of Volodymyr-Volynskyi on Magdeburg law, and Sanok in 1339. He was poisoned in 1340 by orthodox boyars and died without an heir, before his father who continued rule Masovian principality.
- Also "Jerzy II", and sometimes identified with the surname "Trojdenowic/Trojdenowicz".
- Jasiński, Kazimierz (1998). Rodowód Piastów mazowieckich. Poznań - Wrocław: Wydawnictwo Historyczne. p. 59. ISBN 83-913563-0-2.
- Jasiński, Kazimierz (1998). Rodowód Piastów mazowieckich. Poznań - Wrocław: Wydawnictwo Historyczne. p. 60. ISBN 83-913563-0-2.
- Sanok city privilege in Latin (Digitalbibliothek of AGAD, Nr 7226.) Archived 2008-10-31 at the Wayback Machine
- Jan Řežabek, Jiří II", poslední kníže veśkeré Malé Rusi, kritickí pokus, «Časopis musea království českého», ročnik LVII, Praha, 1883.
- Oswald Balzer Genealogia Piastów (1895) (see: Digitalbibliothek of Great Poland: )
- Maciej Wilamowski Piastowie. Leksykon biograficzny, Kraków 1999.
Bolesław-Jerzy IIBorn: 1308 Died: 1340
Andrew and Leo II
| King of Galicia-Volhynia
|This Ukrainian history-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a member of a European royal house is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a Polish noble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|