Bobae Market (Thai: ตลาดโบ๊เบ๊, RTGS: Talat Bobe, pronounced [tālàːt bóːbéː]), usually shortened to Bobae, is a well-known cheap clothing market, both retail and wholesale. The market area has two huge wholesale shopping areas, Bobae Market and Bobae Tower.
Bobae Market's site on Krung Kasem Road along Khlong Phadung Krung Kasem (Phadung Krung Kasem Canal) in Khlong Maha Nak Subdistrict, Pom Prap Sattru Phai District, is between the Yotse Bridge (Kasat Suek intersection) and Jaturapak Rangsarit Bridge (Saphan Khao intersection) in Si Yaek Maha Nak Subdistrict, Dusit District, with some parts overlaps Rong Mueang Subdistrict, Pathum Wan District.
The term bobae in Thai means 'noisy' or 'boisterous'. It's assumed that the name is derived from the word bong beng (บ้งเบ้ง), which describes the general condition of the market.[failed verification]
Bobae Market was founded c. 1927 by Thai-Chinese group who gathered to sell local products such as coconut water, tea, coffee, or various agricultural products. During World War II the focus changed to used clothing. At first, the clothes sold were those of persons who had died in the war.
- Num luk thung (2011-06-14). "เที่ยว"โบ๊เบ๊" ต้องมนต์เสน่ห์ชุมชนเก่า" [Travel "Bobae" infatuated with old community]. Manager Daily (in Thai). Retrieved 2018-03-26.
- "ตลาดโบ๊เบ๊ แหล่งขายส่งเสื้อผ้า สินค้าราคาถูก" [Bobae Market the center of wholesale clothing and cheap products]. SME Leader (in Thai). Retrieved 2018-03-26.
- "Pier Bobae". Bangkok Tourism hub.
- "สาย 53" [Line 53]. BMTA (in Thai).
- OJ QUEVEDO (2013-08-18). "Shopping in Bangkok's Bobae Market". retailplusbangkok. Archived from the original on 2018-03-26. Retrieved 2018-03-26.